Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Binding

If I have blocks around the outside, I use 2 1/4 and sew with 1/4 so I do not lose the points. If I have a solid border, I will use 2 1/2 and sew on with 3/8-1/2 inch. I then turn to the back and sew by hand. I like my bindings to be full to the edge.

3 inch also

Me Too. It does a nice tight binding.
    Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I do 2 1/4" double fold for binding.

For me, it depends on the quilt and the thickness of the batting, but I usually do 2.5 inches also. I recently made scrappy binding from some 2.5" Jelly Roll strips left over from other projects...quick and easy binding!

Quote Originally Posted by katlady
    I cut my binding at 2 1/4" sew to the front of the quilt turn to the back of the quilt & stitch in the ditch with the machine.
    Does the back binding always get sewn when you stitch in the ditch? I have had such a hard time "catching" all the back binding. I've had to go back and resew. I've started to sew the binding to the back of the quilt, turn the binding to the front and machine sew. I've had good luck this way.

Blog Entries
    I use 2 1/2 all the time.

Blog Entries
    I usually do 2.5

Depends on how wide you want it to be. I notice antique quilts seem to have thinner bindings, and they look very nice. It's a matter of what YOU want!

Vat
    This same question came up about two weeks ago. I think I hold a monopoly on cutting binding 1 7/8 inches and fold in half, make 1/4 inch seam and fold to the back. I like a really full binding on the edge of my quilts and this size gives it to me. I really don't know what ladies do this all that extra fabric on the back of their quilts. Judges like 1/4 inch on the front and back and a full binding on quilts and that is what I get.

I seem to finish mostly vintage and antique quilts, so I tend to make narrower bindings - 2" or 2" folded in half. They're about 3/8" or a little less when they're finished.

It just depends upon the look you want, though. Some quilts look better with wide bindings - puffy comforter-type quilts are so sweet with big puffy bindings.

I haven't tried a micro-binding, yet - a recent magazine had instructions for putting 1/8" bindings on miniatures! Yikes - that's teeeeeeeeny! Might be fun to try it. :)

Blog Entries
    I usually do 2 1/2 (provided I have enough fabric left!)

I generally use 2 1/4 to 2 1/2, depending on how thick my batting is. However, we had a guest speaker at guild a few years ago that showed us wider bindings. It was really neat to wrap that binding to the back and see the pretty colors.

I use 2 1/2 always

I use 2 1/2, but want to try 3 sometime.

i use a 2 1/2

Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    I think that 2.5 is standard...I've been doing it at 3 inches - I like it better
    Me, too. It's easier to whip stitch and I like to see it on the back.
    froggyintexas

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terri bb
    at 3" how far in do you sew it on the front side?? so you have a wider bind on the front?? and so you leave any extra fabric on the frontside or do you cut it off even with the edge of the quilt?
    Quote Originally Posted by pamkasperi
    I think that 2.5 is standard...I've been doing it at 3 inches - I like it better
    I like to use 3" so it takes just a tiny bit bigger bite of the edge. I stitch about 3/8" from the edge. I balance the seam so when I wrapped it to the back it comes just to the seam. I use 2 1/2" on wall hangings.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I like my binding wide. so I cut usually a 5" strip and fold in half sew 1/4" to quilt and then fold over to the back. it ends op being around a 1" finished binding around the whole quilt. But it also depends on the size of the quilt that I am making. the smaller the quilt usually means thinner binding. I know that I am probably really really weird and totally in the minority here but it is what i like and you should play around with your widths till you find one you like best.
    When you have a binding that wide, how do you trim your quilt? Do you trim all three layers the same, or do you leave the batting and/or backing larger than the top?
    I use 3" doubled, trim all 3 layerss at a time , if Iwant single binding then use 2 1/4"".

guess I am odd man out, I cut 2 3/8" for double fold. It fits better for me, even if it is only cut 1/8" smaller.

Blog Entries
    I usually do 2-1/4. Do you still sew 1/4 inch in when you sew 2-1/2 to front of the quilt?

Quote Originally Posted by EIQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605
    I like my binding wide. so I cut usually a 5" strip and fold in half sew 1/4" to quilt and then fold over to the back. it ends op being around a 1" finished binding around the whole quilt. But it also depends on the size of the quilt that I am making. the smaller the quilt usually means thinner binding. I know that I am probably really really weird and totally in the minority here but it is what i like and you should play around with your widths till you find one you like best.
    When you have a binding that wide, how do you trim your quilt? Do you trim all three layers the same, or do you leave the batting and/or backing larger than the top?
    I usually trim my quilts at 1/2 inch past the unfinished edge of the top. If I'm using straight grain binding, I cut 4" wide strips and fold them in half. I stitch the 2 layers to the quilt [I think stitching to the back and bringing it around to the front will look best]. Mitering the corners is also important, of course.

If I am using bias binding, I cut 2 inch strips usually and run them through my Simplicity Binding Maker. I have used it for straight grains strips and it will fold those just as well also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2