Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding?

Power Poster

Binding?

I spent over an hour at my LQS trying to find a beige to use for the binding to no avail. They were either too yellow beige or to grey beige. I decided to see if I could find a burgundy to match the mitten, nope. I settled on this red varigated with gold sparkles for the back and thought I could also use it for the binding but I am not loving it. I am leaning towards using the same mitten fabric to bind. 1. What do you all think?

I was thinking of outline stitching around the motifs inside the mittens but I kind of like the trapunto effect after the quilting. 2. What the consensus, leave them as is or stitch around them?
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1078
Size:  386.4 KB

I agree with you about the binding fabric- on my screen, it looks too orange. Don't know if that's what it's like in person. I think either the mitten fabric for binding (you could do a red/blue to pick up both mitten colors) or maybe a green since you have some of that in the background. If you outline the individual motifs in the mittens you will lose some of the trapunto effect unless you do it before the quilting. Or you could do it by hand, being careful not to go through to the back and not to pull your stitches too tight. That way you could get a little definition within the mittens without losing the overall trapunto effect.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158.1914/ 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s

Blog Entries
    I would use the same red as the mitten but I would use the flanged binding method and use the dark blue for the flange. As for outlining - yes, I would. It makes them pop more. Very pretty btw.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

How do you feel about Moda Marbles? They have several tans that I just love.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I like the blue mitten color for binding.

I think a green similar to that in the printed mittens, in a tiny print, would look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
    I like the blue mitten color for binding.
    This would probably be my choice, as well.

A red stripe might look nice for the candy cane effect....super cute quilt!!!
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    I would do green like the green mittens.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I like the idea of a green binding.
    Pat

Pfaff 7510, Viking Mega Quilter, Viking Quilt Designer II, Singer Treadle

http://craftypat.blogspot.com/

I agree that the fabric on the right seems quite orange but it may just be my computer screen. I think your binding would be nice with the red mitten fabric.

Often when I can't pick just one color, I go for a stripe....

Blog Entries
    I think that reds and beiges can be the hardest colors to match. I might go completely different. Find a tiny print that has many of the colors (including the blues and greens). I bound a black quilt with primary color stars with a piece of fabric that I had in my stash - no idea why I bought it, must have been a clearance sale!). To look at it, it was a black background with multi colored stained glass crosses (not even as nice as that might sound). But, when I cut it thin for the binding, it was perfect. It had just enough spots of bright colors to blend with the stars and yet enough black background to calm it down. I think you might get the same effect with a christmas print that has the reds, green, blues on a rusty brown background. And the bit darker might give it a nice edge to frame your top.

I agree with MadQuilter. The red and blue would be great. I also think outlining the gloves would make them pop even more. You could try basting around one of them to see the effect before you machine quilt them.

I don't care much for doing a green binding, think sticking with red is the ticket. Moda's Marbles is a good suggestion, but the fabric you posted looks good on my monitor too. I love creating the Trapunto effect so keep that by all means. You do beautiful work and I always take great delight in reading your posts.
    BettyGee, quilter on a Rocky Mountain High

I think you could go either red, blue or green for the binding and it would look good. I don't like the orange-y red (on my screen) at all. A stripe with any or all of those colors especially if you did a bias binding would be very cute.

I don't think I'd quilt around the motifs unless you used the method Rob mentioned. I like the puffiness.
    Patrice S

A blue to match the blue mitten would be nice.