Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 11-10-2010, 08:55 AM

I do most of my quilts that way. I fold from the back and then usually use a decorative stitch on the front. They definitely don't like it done that way at shows - you probably will not win any prizes. But if I am not entering it in a show this technique is much easier in my opinion. But then, I have always hated any hand sewing so I am probably not the person to ask!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 AM

I've used it and had no problem. I used it on some granddaughter quilts. The backing fabric as just so cute I was going to cut it to bind it with the same material, then realized just using it from the back forward made a lot of sense. And was a lot quicker than machine sewing on the binding, turning it over and hand stitching the back. But I usually bind in a different color. So it just depends on your quilt and what you like. No rules here.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Power Poster

when i have used this method i trim the backing to be 1" wider than the quilted quilt. then at the ironing board i carefully bring a side forward, fold the raw edge in half (wrong side together) so the raw edge is even with the edge of the quilt top.then fold again over the top and pin. i sew one side at a time with a blind hem stitch. i stop a couple inches from the corners and fold my miter carefully then continue along the next side. i really do not much care for the look of doing the binding that way but it is faster and works ok for the kids quilts i make. :thumbup:
Old 11-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

I would not use it on a utility quilt because there is only one layer of fabric at the edge. My method always uses double layer of fabric. My most used and most washed quilt is starting to show the wear and tear along the binding and I think a simple binding would have holes in it by now. If the quilt is not used much, it should work just fine - after all, tons of people use that method.

One trick is to cut the corner correctly so the miter will be a perfect match.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Power Poster

i did it on one recently. brought the backing fabric over and used it as binding. had a tiny bit of trouble with the corners though. i like binding sewn on the back and brought forward to the front. easier in my mind. and stronger too of course.