Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding >

Binding

Binding

Old 01-11-2011, 12:59 PM

I know I should never say never, but it'll be a LONG time before I attempt binding again. Fact of the matter, I suck at it!! lol It took me all day and it still looked sad. I won't even take a picture of it like I do all the others I've done.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Would you pick up a paint brush and expect a Rembrandt the first time you put the brush to canvas?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:14 PM

Which part are you having trouble with?
Maybe some one here might help or there are some great tutorials on you tube, try googling binding a quilt.
Could you take it down to your LQS and ask them for advice?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Would you pick up a paint brush and expect a Rembrandt the first time you put the brush to canvas?
Nice one! I'll remember that, hopefully.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Hey, I like it!!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 PM

I have found that doing a two inch binding (double fold) sew to the front side and then hand stitch on the back looks the best...I also hate binding....I like machine sewing it but looks better when I hand do it. I am going to start doing a few of the pillow quilts or as some call it birthing a quilt. No binding...
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I have found that doing a two inch binding (double fold) sew to the front side and then hand stitch on the back looks the best...I also hate binding....I like machine sewing it but looks better when I hand do it. I am going to start doing a few of the pillow quilts or as some call it birthing a quilt. No binding...
Isn't there a way to do it by pulling the backing around to the front?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 PM

I would like to thank those who helped me online last night. I would recommend NOT getting "The Binding Tool" which I purchased from Missouri Quilt Company, hoping it would help. What a mess. My binding had just a little extra fabric so that when I tried to finish it off at the end there were some pleats of fabric. Then, because the ends had already been cut I just could not get them to come together correctly. When I finally followed the excellent directions at heatherbailydesign.com, my edges had been cut so that now, although the binding set nicely, it was no longer even and I could not sew it on without a hole in the front. I am now in the process of piecing in a new section of binding so I can follow those same directions and get the binding to work! I did find other helpful directions at quiltinggallery.com. Someone named Sharon Schamber gave good directions there and I followed them (except for gluing) and got what should be nice corners. Too bad I didn't follow her to the end. All the folding at the end and gluing led me to remember the instant and easy success promised on the Missouri Quilting site. Lesson learned!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:31 PM

I took a binding class, I do it really well, and it is satisfying. Don't give up! Find a teacher-buddy. I am not a great quilter (yet) but I can really do binding! You can do it too!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:55 PM

My friend does that and loves it...I couldn't figure it out right. I did a placement and came out ok..but not great so I went back to the method I knew. There has to be an easier way...my husband also bought me a binding tool for my quilt so that you sew both sides at the same time...I just haven't figured it out yet.
Originally Posted by MommaDorian
Originally Posted by carolaug
Isn't there a way to do it by pulling the backing around to the front?