Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding thread and needle questions >

Binding thread and needle questions

Binding thread and needle questions

Old 05-29-2021, 05:10 PM

Default Binding thread and needle questions

I am hand sewing the binding on a quilt...one of my favorite parts of quilting. Today has been beyond frustrating. I don't have a specific needle size that I use and today started using one that was like putting a nail spike through the fabric. I changed to a better one, but maybe there is something better. I also have never had trouble with thread like I did today. I was using a dual purpose thread that knotted and felt bumpy even though it is new thread. So...What size needle do you use and what kind of thread??? I really, really appreciate your comments. Today it is cold in Ohio and I loved having the quilt on my lap as I sewed but I was frustrated!
Old 05-29-2021, 05:28 PM

Sherri from A Quilting Life posted a YouTube video on Thursday on hand stitching your binding down and she used binding needles from Primitive Gatherings.
And when I have trouble pulling my needle through my binding I drop my needle so It can unwind.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:37 PM

I have used a size 8 Between needle & Aurifil thread. I have also used either wax or thread conditioner, I think it's Thread Heaven.
Old 05-29-2021, 05:48 PM

I use an 8 or 9 hand quilting needle and hand quilting thread with only 1 end knotted, I also use bee's wax, don't usually have any problems.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:10 PM

I use my Roxanne applique needle, and prefer using Presencia 50 wt. thread for binding, as it seems really strong. Last time I used some of the Superior Threads hand quilting thread because it was the best color match, even though it is thicker. I also use Thread Heaven thread conditioner.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I love John James embroidery needles for sewing binding. They have a larger eye for easy threading but are super sharp. I use whatever thread is a good match to the binding mostly a polyester blend . It slides nicely and is strong. I use one strand that I use a split knot to lock it on my needle so it doesn’t unthread.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:41 PM

I also use embroidery needles. I find they slide thru the fabric well and, as Tartan says, they have a large eye for easy threading and a very sharp point. I also like the slightly longer length. I usually use a cotton thread but have used whatever is on hand that matches. I have a couple of Thread Heaven conditioners around that I use to help keep the thread from tangling. Discovering that was a huge help to me.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:56 PM

I bind quilts professionally and let me tell you, the binding needles from Primitive Gatherings are a game-changer. I won't use any other needle. For thread, I usually use Bottom Line, it's strong but very fine and nobody can see my stitches.

Regarding your description of "putting a nail spike through the fabric"... I have actually used a needle so much I wore the coating off of it. I realized I was getting drag on the needle, swapped it out for a new one, what a difference! Like a hot knife through butter.

And seriously - treat yourself and buy the binding needles.
Old 05-30-2021, 02:49 AM

There recently was a thread about threading needles that addressed the thing of the "warp" of thread. When I have tangling issues, I usually find I have knotted the wrong end of the thread and it's going into the fabric "backward". It should be used as it came off the spool.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I love John James embroidery needles for sewing binding. They have a larger eye for easy threading but are super sharp. I use whatever thread is a good match to the binding mostly a polyester blend . It slides nicely and is strong. I use one strand that I use a split knot to lock it on my needle so it doesn’t unthread.
Can you tell me what a “split knot” is that you use with a single strand of thread?