Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding Tip >

Binding Tip

Binding Tip

Old 10-06-2010, 04:08 AM

Also you can use a thin line of washable school glue to help hold it in place. I saw this tip on a website and it works really well. I use Elmers washable school glue with a fine tip. It doesn't make it stiff and is easier to use than pins and it is Washable. You use a dry iron, no steam and it works great.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:25 AM

I also have never thought of that,thanks sooooooooooo much ((hugs)). Wonder if I will have the same effect when I machine sew my binding instead of by hand,usually mine will sometimes turn out a bit "wavy",so I will try to iron it down on the next one I do.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 AM

Thanks for the tip ...I will be trying it.
Beth
Old 10-06-2010, 04:36 AM

I'll have to try that on my next quilt. Thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Shivesa
Now don't laugh at me if this is a tip broadly known and I just never heard of it before. I've only been quilting for about 1-2 months so I'm still learning, and I discovered a neat way to make hand sewing the binding onto the back of your quilt a lot easier. I figure there have to be some newbies out there like me that might benefit from this, so here goes.

It's pretty simple, after you sew your binding on to the front, flip it over and iron the binding down. It takes a minute or two, but it really helps get the binding to be even on the front (i.e., you're not repeatedly pulling the binding too far or not pulling it enough around the edge). I usually start with one side, iron it all down right, sew it, and then move on to the next side, iron, sew, etc.

Anyways, sorry if that's a pretty obvious tip, but I'm finding it makes handsewing the binding on WAY easier and more fun. :)
Thanks for the tip!!! I'm going to be putting the binding on a QS quilt and I was REALLY dreading the binding. Now I'm not dreading it anymore. THANKS!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:56 AM

If you use polyester batting, be careful about using an iron anywhere on the quilt itself. The last quilt I finished, I decided to iron around the edges before I started sewing the binding on, thinking the binding would go on more neatly and easily. The batting sort of squashed down into a matted solid strip about 4 inches around the edges where I had ironed. I felt sick when I saw it. I had to take out some of the quilting, trim the matted batting off, and sew replacement batting in its place. That really ruined my day! I said, "Thank You, God," a bunch of times that it all looked fine after I finished the mending job.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:58 AM

I usually iron the binding straight out over the edge of the quilt after sewing it onto the front of the quilt. It seems to flatten the seam a bit and then when I turn it to the back, there is no tugging to hand sew it on.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:02 AM

Thank you, I think this will help lots of quilters.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:14 AM

what a neat tip. On charity quilts I sew on the back first, bring over and machine stitch on the front. Pressing will work on that too.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:38 AM

New tip for me....thank you. I have too many miniatures & a couple wall hanings needing binding.I hate binding :-) going to try glue & ironing together. Something should help !

BTW....someone asked if glue would gum up the needle.I asked the same.She said you sew binding to quilt, then add thin bit of glue....the glue is right along quilt edge, tho on binding.So there's not enough to get on needle from that far away.Then press & sew binding down. Hope thats clear as mud.:-)