Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding for Vintage Quilt?

Central Coast of California, Santa Barbara County

Question Binding for Vintage Quilt?

I have a quilt top that my Grandmother hand pieced a few years or more before she passed in the mid sixties. I have had it quilted and now need to choose a binding. Any ideas?? I am attempting to attach a photo, hope it comes through!
    Terratori
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    I would find a blue and white mixed fabric to bind. Take your quilt with you to match. If you can find a plaid or stripe in blue and white, cut it on the bias for a real pretty edge.
    Lovely heirloom quilt!

I keep thinking that a simple white binding would stay with the feeling of the vintage quilt. It would keep the focus on the pieced blocks and the quilting. I think the quilting really adds to the vintage feel, also. What a special quilt for you to have. Simply beautiful.

I would probably bind it in a solid blue or white to match the piecing fabrics. Take it with you when you shop for the binding fabric, for sure.

Thank you Tartan! I like that idea, as long as it doesn't deter from the overall flow(?) of the quilt.
    Last edited by Terratori; 07-26-2015 at 02:54 PM. Reason: adding a name

Thank you suern3, I'm thinking that too...IF I can find a suitable match. Thank you for your kind comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I would find a blue and white mixed fabric to bind. Take your quilt with you to match. If you can find a plaid or stripe in blue and white, cut it on the bias for a real pretty edge.
    Lovely heirloom quilt!
    I agree with Tartan. Just finished the binding on a quilt using a two tone cranberry burgundy plaid cutting on the bias and it came out looking great.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I think a solid white (or tone on tone) or matching blue would fit better with the pattern and age of the quilt. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of tone on tone white, because of the aging of the white fabric in the quilt. It's hard to match whites, just like it's hard to match blacks.

If you could find a blue that is close to the blue in the quilt, it would make a wonderful binding. Otherwise, maybe a r/w/b stripe or even just a bright red for it.

I love two color/fabric quilts, and the fact that your grandmother made the top and you quilted it - can't beat that combination.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

It is so nice to see that you have completed your Grandmother's quilt. As far as the binding goes keep it simple. Use either a white or blue. Either of these choices will keep with the vintage look of the quilt and I think you would be much happier with the results.

Thank you Sync! I feel that you are right.

Thank you Sync! I feel that you are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sync View Post
    It is so nice to see that you have completed your Grandmother's quilt. As far as the binding goes keep it simple. Use either a white or blue. Either of these choices will keep with the vintage look of the quilt and I think you would be much happier with the results.

Blog Entries
    I agree with Tartan. I wouldn't use white because it shows soil more and I wouldn't want to wash it any more than necessary!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Well I know I am going to be odd man out here, but in your one photo I can see something red peeking from behind and I think it looks fabulous. You may want to consider a solid red binding in a rather subdued tone of red. Not fire engine red but something that is leaning towards brick red. It might be a good option if you can't find a blue match. I would steer away from white because the binding/edge of the quilt will show everything and white will soil and stain more easily.

My vote is for white.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

How about a white with small blue polka dots? The dots would distract a little if the whites did not match.

Blog Entries
    Lovely quilt. I like the idea of a plaid or checked binding with colors from your quilt top.

It's beautiful, I like Tartan's idea....but go with your heart on this one.

Blog Entries
    I would do a white. More in line with time frame.
    I am following my retirement plan, I Quilt.

A lovely quilt. So glad you had it quilted to enjoy and remember your Grandmother. I think if you can find a blue close to the blocks it would be great. However, colors change from year to year so that might not be possible. Even a white (or the light color) if you can find one that matches nicely. My next choice would be a blue print that comes close so that it does not detract from the quilt itself. Would love to see the finished quilt.

I would stay away from either solid blue or white, because you would never be able to match the color perfectly. I would choose a small patterned fabric in blue and white (or blue, white and an accent color) in a pattern that would have been used in the sixties when the quilt was pieced. I'm sorry I don't know what quilting fabrics were used in the sixties, not than I'm not old enough, but because I wasn't quilting then. I'm sure a Google search would help. It's a lovely memento of your grandmother.

Power Poster
    I might be tempted to use just a white binding, so it would not take away from that totally awesome quilt.

I know it would be difficult, but a knife edge binding would go best with the age of the quilt. Batting is trimmed back 1/4th inch smaller than top and back, then top and back seam allowances are turned in and hand stitched right along the edge. We did our Grandmother's Flower Garden that way last year. It was well done, looked beautiful, and kept the edge of each flower showing. No need to match anything.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Doesn't it feel awesome to finish a quilt that someone special couldn't finish?? Definitely, take the quilt w/ you to see what you see. With all of the different muslins and solids, you might get lucky to find something to match.

I had a similar thing w/ a quilt...I took it to a large quilt show w/ me and looked at every single fat quarter people brought w/ them. Who knew there were sooooo many fat quarters/!?!?!!? I had to match a 30s bubblegum pink print...and found a little pindot that worked.

It was worth the hunt. Good luck!!

Name:  018.JPG
Views: 90
Size:  115.2 KB
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

One of the purposes of a binding is to make a frame for the quilt so the eye stops 'wandering'. Therefore, I would not choose white. Why not 'google vintage fabric' and see if you could find sellers of vintage fabric. I know there is a shop in Leadville, Colorado, that only sells vintage fabric, linens, patterns, etc. That way, you might find a great match. How about a fabric with just a tiny polka dot? Your quilt is a treasure and I know it will be special over the years.