Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Binding, what would you do?

Power Poster

Binding, what would you do?

I cut 3 1/2 inch strips for a 1/2 inch finished binding for a lap quilt. I thought I had cut enough and joined them with the 45 seams. I sewed on 3 sides and pinned the rest in place to check if it would reach. It is long enough to join them with a straight 3/8 seam but not a 45 join. I have joined the ends with a straight seam and I am pondering if I want to cut another fabric strip, rip and resew or leave it. It is dark green so you can't really see the joins that well. What would you do?

Always measure all four sides before cutting your binding and add a little extra for good measure. If it were me I would add the extra strip so it will be 45 degree like the rest of the quilt. You would know that it was not right and feel guilty.

Blog Entries
    I'd probably cut another strip. But that's just me. If the join isn't that noticeable and you're happy with it, leave it as is.

I'd cut another strip and join with the 45 degree like the rest of the quilt.

I always join the last seam with a straight seam and no ever notices. I definitely would leave it like it is.

I supose it would depend on what I was going to do wih the quilt. If I were giving it as a gift or making it for a paying customer, I would replace the binding strip. However if I were making it for myself and it didn't look all that bad I would leave it as it is.
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I never put a binding on a quilt without laying it out first to make sure none of the seams fall on a corner so I always know if it's long enough too. I would fix it. I would rip each end back far enough so I could add a strip to each end so my seams aren't all right together.

Banned
    can you get any degree of angle with the overlap. It doesnt have to be an exact 45 degree.
    Lap the two ends over and draw diagonal line and then see if you have seam allowance for both.
    It works in those instances where there is not suffiient fabric for the 45 degree.

I always did straight seams for binding until I learned about the 45 degree seam. Unless the quilt is going to be judged I wouldn't think twice about having one seam that was straight.

I always connect with a 45 but NO ONE but YOU will notice it. I would sew a straight seam, then press the seam open so there isn't much bulk. Hang in there and GOOD LUCK !!! Finish this up and then start a new quilt !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

No one will ever know or even care. Leave it alone and use the time to start something else.
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Power Poster
    The vote is leaning towards leaving it and moving on. So no date with Jack tonight and I'm on to my next project. Thanks everyone!

I'd leave the straight joined pieces. I do that all the time and have never had a complaint yet. :-)
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

I'm one of those people that if I know where a flaw exists I don't see anything else. I'd have to redo it.
    A dog is not "almost human" and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such.

Power Poster
    I finish the binding with a straight seam also. No one will know the difference, they will be looking at your quilt.
    SueDor

Quote Originally Posted by dlong View Post
    I always join the last seam with a straight seam and no ever notices. I definitely would leave it like it is.
    Me too!

I would cut another strip, the binding will wear better if you cut on the bias and sew with a 45 degree.
    http://overallquilter.com

Blog Entries
    If i had enough fabric I'd just cut another strip and join it with the 45 degree seam. Why change course in the middle of the trip?
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
    I'd probably cut another strip. But that's just me. If the join isn't that noticeable and you're happy with it, leave it as is.
    I agree! Plus it'll give you more practice...can't wait to see your finished project!

Leave it. No one but you will ever notice.

Blog Entries
    Unless you are a perfectionist what is wrong with leaving it as is. If it is going to bother you then take it out and do it over.