Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding...yuck! >

Binding...yuck!

Binding...yuck!

Old 10-19-2011, 06:27 AM

I machine sew to the front and hand sew to the back. I only recently started this. I've noticed that by machine sewing the whole binding, the binding looks flat and gets slightly distorted using the machine. You'll be surprised at how fast it goes by sewing by hand. I do the ladder stitch and use the Americana thread from Joanns that I pick up for 50c a spool when on sale. Do a small table topper or hot pad and check it out.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:39 AM

I prefer a binding where the stitching doesn't show at all so I machine sew it on and then hand stitch the binding back around the quilt--pretty conventional method. I've never had any of my hand stitching pull out and some of my quilts were made years ago and have been machine washed regularly.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM

I prefer to machine stitch to the front and then handstitch on the back. Made a baby quilt for a grandchild that had turtles on it. 4 & 1/2 yrs, and many, many washings later, some of the turtles are (machine-appliqued) are coming loose but the binding (handstitched) is still going strong.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:55 AM

I hand stitch to the back, using glue to hold it down instead of pins or clips, using hand quilting thread, and a ladder stitch. The thread is strong,, and the ladder stitch is almost invisible. Very relaxing while watching tv and you feel so good about the finished product.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by vicki75
Ok so I have a question about binding. So far I have never ever hand sewn the binding on. One, because I'm lazy and two, because I don't want to. LOL But...I'm tossing the idea around for the quilt I'm currently working on. So, I need a little guidance. Is it a big deal if I just machine stitch it down? If I hand sew will it hold up to washing? I'm just afraid it won't be as strong. What kind of stitch do you use? If my mom lived here I would bat my eyes and ask her to do it. Probably wouldn't work but I would try. :D

Appreciate your input...
Hand sewing, done properly, does not lack strength.

Remember the corset that Scarlett O'Hara wore to reduce her waist to sixteen inches? As you can imagine, such a corset has to withstand a great deal of pressure. Historically, many of those corsets were completely hand sewn. And they held together extremely effectively.

Bespoke men's suits are often 95+% hand sewn (including the crotch seam). No problems with them coming apart!

For a binding, I do the initial seam with a simple running stitch (same as the quilting stitch). I glue the binding onto the back of the piece and sew it on from the front so that I can follow any line or pattern that might be in my border on the front (looks better). After I wrap the binding around to the front, I use a slip stitch to sew it into place with the fold just barely covering the original seam line.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by tsnana2000
I have never used double thread when hand sewing my binding, but was wondering if it would help the seam last longer. I will have to try this sometime on my next quilt.
Compare the size of your sewing thread to a thread ravelled out of your binding fabric. Chances are that both threads are very similar in size. There's no point in doubling your thread to make a seam that will be stronger than the actual fabric used in the binding.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:15 AM

You don't have to worry about the hand stitching holding up. I am using a quilt that has to be 15+ years old & the binding is still holding up fine. The fabric seems to be wearing thin in some places though.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:07 PM

I sew it down by machine on the front of the quilt, then fold it over to the back and hand stitch it down with what is called the ladder stitch. I also glue my binding on first with elmers school glue. It works great and looks good when finished. Learned this technique from Sharon Schambers you tube videos.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 10-19-2011, 03:10 PM

I do both, depending on the quilt. Whichever I do, I always use the glue basting. I started using that and just love the consistency of how it looks and lays.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM

I think it depends on the quilt. When one machine sews the whole quilt what is wrong with machine stitching the binding?