Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Birthing a quilt? >

Birthing a quilt?

Birthing a quilt?

Old 03-10-2015, 09:09 AM

Default Birthing a quilt?

I have seen this expression a few time now on this board. What exactly is birthing a quilt??????????
Old 03-10-2015, 09:33 AM

Hi....birthing a quilt is when you put the pieced top and backing fabric right sides together then the batting (in that proper layer order) -- stitch all around the outside edge - leaving an opening. Then turn the quilt right side out through the opening. Then stitch the opening closed. This method eliminates the need for binding around the edge....lots of people do this and then quilt - but i've only ever used it when i'm tying the quilt.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

It is when you sew a quilt together around the edges but leaving an opening large enough so you can turn the quilt inside out. This method is popular since there is no binding involved.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

I tied one like that once. Eleanor Burns of Quilt In A Day does this from time to time and she starts to machine quilt it but never really shows doing the quilting lines out to the edge. difficult not to get folds or wrinkles in the fabric. tying seems best.
Old 03-10-2015, 01:39 PM

I have done a couple like this. It is a little more challenging, but I think this is the best way for putting ruffles on a quilt. I will probably do another one practice, practice practice
Old 03-10-2015, 04:08 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
It is when you sew a quilt together around the edges but leaving an opening large enough so you can turn the quilt inside out. This method is popular since there is no binding involved.
I made one like that a few years ago. I didn't know it was called birthing a quilt. Kind of a funny expression. Thanks clearing that up for me. for
Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 PM

The expression is so undescriptive of what actually happens and IMO sounds awful. I wish we could think of a better work or expression.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:31 PM

jeanharville, When I first heard of this technique, it was called "pillowcasing," which I think is a much more descriptive term. Just like a pillowcase, the quilt is sewn on three sides and turned inside out.

Tate
Old 03-11-2015, 07:03 PM

I used this method (whatever we decide to call it...LOL) on the quilts I made with fleece backs and no batting. They come out really nice...no puckering problems thus far!
Old 03-11-2015, 07:47 PM

A LQS had a January/February promotion asking people to follow directions to make a doll quilt with a heart (fabric, applique, pieced, quilted...just had to have a heart) and the pattern called for this technique. Worked very well on these small projects.

The doll quilts (8 1/2" x 11") are being paired with doll beds made in HS shop classes, and donated dolls. Then the whole sets are being donated to charity. The shop hung the donated doll quilts from strings from the ceiling--there must have been hundreds. A great project and a lot of fun. (I donated 6.)