Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A bit of help for a complete novice >

A bit of help for a complete novice

A bit of help for a complete novice

Old 12-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Power Poster

It is very traditional to quilt 1/4-inch in from the seam line. That, plus the even spacing of the stitches, plus the pin basting, plus the fact that you found the quilt in a hoop, indicate that the stitches you found are her quilting stitches. Hand quilting is often done in a hoop, whereas basting is never done in a hoop.

Are the pins safety pins or straight pins? Typically safety pins are used. Extra pins are needed around the edges to keep the layers secure.

Quilting stitches are counted both top and bottom so, if you are seeing 4 stitches on top per inch, then that would be counted as 8 stitches per inch -- pretty standard for beginning quilters and very acceptable for a utility quilt or charity quilt. Experienced hand quilters strive for 12 stitches per inch. Most likely she was planning to quilt inside every square; however, the most efficient way to do this is to quilt in straight lines -- first one way, then another.

Are the quilting stitches just a single thread? It sounds as if your grandmother had read up on quilting but hadn't quite figured out how to bury her quilting knot and thread tail. Making small quilting stitches takes a lot of practice. Since you don't have other quilts from your grandmother, my guess is that she was just starting out to hand quilt and that's why the quilting stitches are rather large.

The needle looks relatively large in the photo. That would also be typical of a beginning hand quilter.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:21 PM

My guess also would be that this is the start of hand quilting.

You said that you are hoping to finish this quilt for Christmas. This year? Not sure how large the quilt is but if you are planning to have it done in less than 2 weeks and you have never quilted before, you may not finish it if you hand quilt. It really is time consuming.

If your goal is to give it to your mother on Christmas, you may be better off doing a simple stitch in the ditch by machine and then maybe adding some hand quilting inside the boxes after you give it to her.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM

Wow, thanks for all the information!

I do know that she has made quilts for a very long time - though I would not be surprised if she taught herself.

I'm looking up how to hide a not/tail now.

She is only using one thread and a needle about 1 inch long.

Haha oh yes, I know it will be difficult. I tend to be known for taking on too much, but I normally come out okay. I just finished a hand-sewn corset so my hand stitching should hopefully be relatively quick by now. If it gets close and I'm not finished I'm sure my mom will understand if she gets a rain check. Luckily I'm home from college and have no plans until Christmas!
Old 12-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Power Poster

I would say it is quilting. Some friends in my group baste and the stitches are usually an inch or more for that. If you continue in the manner that she started, it will be just fine.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Power Poster

I would finish the quilting the way it was started :D:D:D
What a treasure you are working on... your Mom will be so excited to see this quilt finished :D:D:D
Old 12-14-2009, 03:06 PM

What I see looks like quilting to me because it is very even and precise! Good luck with finishing the hand quilting. If you want to do it, you will get it done! There are lots of tutorials here to help with whatever part you want to know about, just "search".
Old 12-14-2009, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

THe fact that it is pinned, that it is in a hoop, and that the stitches are inset and in a perfect line, suggests strongly that she was in the quilting phase. I think if I would hand quilt something, I would probably end up with large stitches (as I am not practiced, nor patient when it comes to hand work)

You have choices.
You can continue in the same style and finish the quilt.
You can share the quilting with your mother and make it a 3-generation quilt.
You can take out the 10" and finish it on the machine.
You could even send it out to be done by a longarm quilter.
EIther way, it will be a wonderful memory of your grandmother and you can be very proud of yourself that you are tackling this project.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:56 PM

I agree that it is quilting and my advice would be to continue in your grandmother's fashion with quilting 1/4" away from the seams around the squares.
The idea of quilting a 4 leaf clover may be appealing because it reminds you of her, but it is much harder to quilt than a straight line and I think you will find the quilting parallel to the seam will be doable and also attractive.
Doing the stitching by hand also increases the value of the quilt, whereas machine quilting it (in the eyes of an appraiser) would decrease it. She has some vintage fabrics in there, so it is something to consider.
If you wish to include the 4 leaf clover or honey bee, you can include that on a label on the back of the quilt, where you will also include her name and your name, and maybe some of the history and affection you had for your grandmother.
it will be a lovely gift and treasure for your mom!
Good luck!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Power Poster

Some great answers here, whatever you decide will be just perfect. What a wonderful thing you are doing. As has been mentioned, please do a label...and I'm sure when you put in those final stitches, grandmother will be smiling, from somewhere!
Old 12-14-2009, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

that looks like she was hand quilting it. YOu can get 1/4 in tape from your local LQS, and that will help you keep the quilting straight and the same distance from the seams. She probably had quilted for so long, she didn't need the tape, or markings. What a treasure you have, and how touched your mother will be.