Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Black Batting

Has anyone ever tried dying batting? Am working on a black project and no matter how much adjusting I do, a few little pokies appear. I figured since the batting is 100% cotton, dying might work. Any ideas?

Blog Entries
    I believe that you can buy black batting.

i would just buy black batting

Hobbs and Dream Poly both come in black. I have used both of them on really dark quilts. Both work well in that application.

I get black batting at hancocks.I like it for dark quilts.

I also have used black batting; I try to keep one on hand, never know when I might need it.

One time I had REAL bad pokies; they went away almost completely once I turned the white batting over and used the other side.

You can buy black batting.

Yes you can dye cotton batting. Fiber artists use it. However, it would need a ton of washing to get the dye out and the risk of bleeding into the quilt top, just isn't worth it. Buy the black batting as suggested;>

Not thought of dying the batting!!!

As for the pokies -- yes, white batting will possibly poke thru to the black. However, make sure your needle is sharp --- it may seem okay, but try a clean NEW needle and see what happens. There's also the decision -- ball point needle or sharp needle. I can't remember which one will prevent you getting pokies.

Blog Entries
    I used black batting only once. The cats peeled back the top (I was auditioning at the time) and shredded the batting. Took that as a sign and stuck with white/natural ever since.

Blog Entries
    i use hobbs heirloom black in black quilts- is nice to work with- dyeing---would depend on what size- a large one would be a pain! lots of handling- probably be alot more cost effective to just buy a black batt...unless it's a really small batt- alot of risk really damaging a large one through the dying process.

Banned
    Hobbs offers a black batting - I never tried but I have used Dream Cotton in black and liked it very much

I tried to dye batting for some Christmas pillows in red, green, gold and white. It worked but I can never wash the pillows because I will never feel comfortable about washing out all the left over dye. If there is even just a smidgen left in the batting it will bleed all over the outer quilted fabric. This means my beautiful pillows are dated as far as their life span is concerned. I worked really hard on the applique, embroidery and quilting to ever try to dye batting again, EVER.

I will just buy black batting from now on. Hancock's carries the black as well as white and neutral.

I would certainly BUY black batting. I used it once. It works great for when doing a very dark quilt. GOOD LUCK.... :lol:

Look for Dream Black batting for the darkest black. You can use it for shadow detail too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by emmamarie
    I get black batting at hancocks.I like it for dark quilts.
    Do you know if Hobby Lobby carries black batting? JoAnn's last flyer mentioned black batting but they did not have it.

Don't dye batting - you could but it's much easier to buy black batting. Hobb's have a nice 80/20 black batting, Quilter's Dream has a 100% dark poly batting and Pellon Legacy has a very nice 70/30 black blend batting. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    i use hobbs heirloom black in black quilts- is nice to work with- dyeing---would depend on what size- a large one would be a pain! lots of handling- probably be alot more cost effective to just buy a black batt...unless it's a really small batt- alot of risk really damaging a large one through the dying process.
    I agree! I've used it many times and it's just great. Connecting Threads sells it and usually has a pretty good price. As a matter of fact, it's on sale right now:
    http://www.connectingthreads.com/too...g__D20826.html

Being a longarm quilter, I keep Hobbs cotton and poly batting in natural, bleached and black on hand to sell to my customers. I called Hobbs Bonded Fibers in Waco, Tx. yesterday to reorder and was told they no longer produce the poly black but they do still produce the cotton black batting.

QM
    I use Hobb's Thermore and fresh needles and don't have a bearding problem. If I wanted a black bat, however, I would definitely buy it that way. Black fabrics tend to bleed, so I would not want to risk it with home dying.

QM
    I use Hobb's Thermore and fresh needles and don't have a bearding problem. If I wanted a black bat, however, I would definitely buy it that way. Black fabrics tend to bleed, so I would not want to risk it with home dying.

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    LadyJaneDoe has it right... go to Connecting Threads, it's 30% off right now. And they're great to do business with, no worries there.

Like others have suggested...buy the black batting...you would really be taking a chance dying it yourself...what if the black then bled onto your fabrics???