Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Fabric

I have such a hard time finding the "wrong side" of black fabric.. Any ideas or helpful hints???

There generally isn't a right or wrong side on yarn dyed fabrics. Yarn dyed means the threads were dyed before the fabric was woven.

To me it is just like Batiks, no wrong side. I can't tell on the solid white either. I don't worry about it unless there is a sheen to it.

Thats a relief..I have been hesitant to start cutting my material,,,thinking that once cut out..I would never remember which side was which...

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    To me it is just like Batiks, no wrong side. I can't tell on the solid white either. I don't worry about it unless there is a sheen to it.
    that is what I was going to say sometimes the only way to tell is that 1 side has a shinier side than the other the other way is by the selvage they have tiny holes and you will notice that they are either indented or stand up depending on which side you are looking at but for the life of me I can't remember which 1 was the right side

Thanks for all the replies...I am new here and hate to ask "newbie" questions...but I have to start somewhere right?? I'm making a library quilt for a relative..black background..wood grain fabric for bookcase...and lots of fun fabrics for "books"

Blog Entries
    you pay for both sides of the fabric and there is nothing wrong with using both sides...equally...we have lots of quilts that the (back-side) worked better than the (considered right side) there is no right or wrong, just fabric with 2 sides. sometimes a fabric is just what you want but a little too bright, flip it over, it may be just the perfect muting. we never worry about which side is 'right' we just use the fabrics however we want to use them. sometimes as a 'newby' it is easy to get caught up in ... propriety.... relax.... there is no quilt police that are going to show up and tell you you used that fabric wrong...once it is put together and quilted no one can tell that a fabric is maybe flipped over...

Thanks so much..feeling more confident by the minute LOl

With solids, if I can't tell at a glance which side is the right side, I just use either side as the "right side".

Flip it twice, if you can't tell which side is right then it doesn't matter, no one else will be able to either.

bayside54...I have a difficult time knowing which is the right side of some jelly rolls. I, too, would like to know if there is a way to know. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
    With solids, if I can't tell at a glance which side is the right side, I just use either side as the "right side".
    Ditto!

Just make sure that whatever side you use be consistent thru the whole quilt cause there may be minor differences that may not show up until everything is together. Just my thought!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes there is a little more sheen to one side versus the other, but if that is not the case with your fabric, then sew to your heart's content.

I have a lot of trouble with white on white fabric. I use my black light for those. The pattern just POPS out. The other ones get the "dot treatment". I use those little sticky dots found at the office supply stores or a chalk mark (depends on color of fabric) to show the right side which is whatever I decided it to be but I will be consistent. It can be amazing how what looked like the right side in one light situation will look so wrong in another.

Whatever side I use is the right side. :-D

I agree with others....whatever side looks the best to you is the right side.

I have often used a print fabric with one side for the dark color and then turned it over and used the same material for the light color in a pattern.

You're the artist and whatever you decide is the correct choice for you.

Have fun.

The may sound terrible, but I went to the Goodwill and found Black sheets, both fitted and flat. Now it is easy to find the top, and once I cut them, I put a chalk check, (say that 6 times) :D on the top of the cut fabric. Is that wrong? :oops:

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Baby Yow
    I have such a hard time finding the "wrong side" of black fabric.. Any ideas or helpful hints???
    If you can't decide on the right/wrong side then it doesn't matter. Nobody else will know either. Whatever works for you.

If you can't tell the difference, don't worry about it.

If you can't tell, it don't matter. ;)

I bought a purple solid once and couldn't tell the difference between sides, until I sewed the blocks together. I could see that the purple had different shades to it. but it was ok. our world is not a perfect world and we don't need perfect color matches. the difference is ever so slight. who will look that carefully?

Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)
    Blog Entries
    The only black I've run across that is different on the front and back is RJR's Cotton Supreme. It does have a little more sheen on one side than the other. But as long as you're consistent, I don't see why you couldn't choose either side as the "right side".

Solids usually don't "care" which side you use. And in prints, I don't call it the "wrong side." It is the "other side" which often suits my color scheme better.

Banned
    however, it is good to use the same side because light might reflect different sides.
    Look at the selvedage. You can usually tell if one side is more evenly woven.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast