Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Blade Sharpner

Blog Entries

Blade Sharpner

What are the pros and cons of using a blade sharpner. Are they worth buying?

What kind of sharpener, hand or electric, they have both? I don't have any experience with the electric ones, but the hand type are virtually useless, in my opinion.

Blog Entries
    I have two of the hand type and I agree, they are totally worthless. I usually purchase blades on line and they are very reasonable.
    In my dream world, fabric is free and sewing makes you thin.

Sharon

The electric blade sharpner I purchased from Nancy's Notion worked just fine for me once I read the instructions. Had been using it incorrectly so the blades weren't getting sharpened as they should. Now I sharpen my blades only once for fabric. When the blade gets dull again I'll sharpen them and use them in my "Paper Only" rotary cutter. They'll never go dull or not for a long time. After they do get dull I place them in the blade container they came in, once its full I toss it. Also found out my blades were getting dull with my old style cutting mat. Got a better cut on a self-healing mat so changed over to those. Now they last longer for me.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

I have used one of these for years with no problems. Better than putting more stuff in landfill in MHO.

https://www.graceframe.com/en/truecut/truesharp

I have the truesharp and am very unhappy with it's performance..it's been stored in a bag now for 3 yrs, just waiting for my estate sale. LOL I just buy new blades usually, but have a good stash now that I got at another estate sale last Fall.

I used the manual one years ago and it was useless. It made the blades even worse that the dullness I started with. I hope they are better now, but I hadn't bothered to try to sharpen blades since.

Blog Entries
    Nope. Waste of money.

I have the electric true Cut and love it. I think many people are unsuccessful with it because they don't wipe off the dirty oil and put a drop of clean oil on each side of the sharpening stones every time they rotate the sharpener. Dirty oil (oil with tiny bits of metal in it from sharpening) fouls the stone with embedded bits of metal, making sharpening impossible. You have to wipe off the dirty oil on the stone, put a drop of clean oil on it and rub that into the stone with your finger to dislodge the metal bits, wipe that off, then re-oil the clean stone with every rotation of the sharpener, on each and every stone surface. Do that and you'll have success.

Yes, the hand held sharpeners are worthless unless you use them to hold down a stack of papers. I've tried the blades from the Quilted Twins and they are Sharp! Very pleased with them and so reasonably priced.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-01-2019 at 07:01 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by linmid View Post
    What are the pros and cons of using a blade sharpner. Are they worth buying?
    buy new blades...………..None of the sharpeners are worth the cost, frustration - and none of them come close to getting blades sharp, or corrected if they have developed a flat spot from being dropped, etc.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-01-2019 at 07:02 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps

I have two of the hand held ones, and they are not any good. I have debated about the electric one, but they are so expensive.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    All Great Information.
    Jackie
    Lover of Scrappy, Chocolate and Wine

If you use one to sharpen a dull blade you wont' have much success. If you sharpen a sharp blade it will never get dull. Ever see men sit and whet their knives everyday? The knives were sharp before they started. Before every cutting session I run my blade through the vertical bade sharpener several times. And then several times during if I cut a lot. Unless I hit a pin or get a nick my blade lasts a long time.

I usually put the date on my blade when I put in a new one. The one I'm using now says 12/12/2017. I sharpen it before I use it every time. I expect the new Endurance blades to last me for years more. LOL
    Last edited by Onebyone; 04-01-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Blog Entries
    If you are asking about rotary blade sharpeners, I have yet to hear of any of them that work very well. I have found incredibly cheap blades online that are great. Sometimes one will not seem to last as long as I want, but when I am getting 20 for the price of 5 at the store - it is still a great deal!

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone I appreciate all your inputs.