Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blanket stitch gone wonky, but think I've figured it out.... >

Blanket stitch gone wonky, but think I've figured it out....

Blanket stitch gone wonky, but think I've figured it out....

Old 01-09-2016, 08:21 AM

Default Blanket stitch gone wonky, but think I've figured it out....

When doing machine raw edge applique I usually use a blanket stitch to secure it. Lately I noticed that the stitch that covers the fabric (the horizontal stitch part) was coming out looking like an upside down V and not straight. I know that I am NOT moving the fabric while doing this part of the stitch so couldn't figure out why this is happening. Then I realized that I had a ball of fuzz stuck to the top of the needle shaft and had been just sliding it down and off the needle every once in a while. And this fuzz was probably coming from the water soluble stabilizer that I've just recently started to use instead of a tear-away stabilizer. So. I used a q-tip slightly dampened with rubbing alcohol to clean the sticky off the needle and WOW! The stitching is SO much smoother and no more wonky stitches!!! I really like the water-soluble stabilizer even if it does cause the sticky balls to form, but will remember to frequently wipe the needle. Hope this helps if you are having the same problem.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Good for you. It's funny how such teeny tiny things can mess up our lives!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 AM

You are an amazing detective!!! Thank you for the information!!
Old 01-09-2016, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

thanks for the tip
Old 01-09-2016, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

And such teeny tiny things can come to the rescue.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:10 AM

I think that not only the needle was sticking to the fabric, but the thread that is coming down the shaft of the needle, was sticking to the needle causing the tension to shift. Thinking I'm going to try a different water soluble stabilizer to see if there is a difference. O, the joys of having quilting/applique buddies who understand the frustrations that occur from time to time!
Old 01-09-2016, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

great hint, thanks
Old 01-09-2016, 01:18 PM
Power Poster

I found a few Vs on my buttonhole stitch but I knew I had tried to move the quilt too quickly.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:57 PM

I've never had that happen and I use tons of vilene. But I was wondering if maybe you used a spray glue or any glue that might be making the needle sticky.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I've never had that happen and I use tons of vilene. But I was wondering if maybe you used a spray glue or any glue that might be making the needle sticky.
Nope. I didn't use any spray or glue. BUT!!! I did just talk to my super quilt shop owner and she suggested that it just might be the fusible and not the stabilizer that was gunking up the needle. She said that a 'new, revised formula' in one of our most popular (but I'm not naming them!) fusibles had been giving her the exact same problem. She said that maybe as the product (whichever) was being sewed over repeatedly that it was heating/melting/breaking down the sticky stuff. I did notice that the stitches were fine until I had been at the machine for maybe a half hour. I realized then that I was using the latest version of the fusible for the first time as well as the first time for the water soluble stabilizer. So, I have to do some further testing of each product to see if one of them was the culprit OR is it the needle that just needs changing? Hmmmmmm. This particular applique pattern is loaded with mostly curves and few straight lines so I was going as slow as can be. Stay tuned!