Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bleedilng Fabric

Power Poster

Bleedilng Fabric

Do you let the store/shop know when you get a bleeder?

If you do, what does the store/shop do about it?

I would think that if enough of the stores/shops start to howl about "problem" fabrics, that the manufacturers might start to do something about them.

I, for one, think that after one washing to get rid of excess dye, that the dyes should be stable and that no further treatment should be necessary by the buyer.

I consider bleeding (unless indicated that it will happen on the end label of the bolt) to be a manufacturing flaw and should be brought to the attention of the shop owners any time it happens.

What the store/shop does with it is up to them, but I would think that they would return it to whoever they purchased it from - and so on up the line.

This, of course, does require that the fabric(s) get wet fairly soon after purchase and that receipts are kept.

I did tell JAF about a fabric that I purchased that really bled, but the salesperson just replied, "Really?" and went on with her cutting. So, so much for that.

Watson

I don't think I've seen an indication on the bolt. Could be wrong. It would probably be too much cost for the shops to return the fabric to the company.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Power Poster
    Way back when - Madras plaids and indigo denims had that on the bolt - that the dyes would probably bleed.

Just use color catchers and wash in cold water. i don't complain about small stuff. This is small stuff to me, after first wash I don't see bleeders.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I had a soft gray with white polka dots that came out of the prewash beige with white dots. When I took it back to the LQS, I was told I shouldn't prewash. What? Make the quilt and have it happen when the parents wash the baby quilt? I don't think so. The LQS owners certainly weren't going to contact a manufacturer when it was my fault for washing a 100% cotton from a good line.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    I had a soft gray with white polka dots that came out of the prewash beige with white dots. When I took it back to the LQS, I was told I shouldn't prewash. What? Make the quilt and have it happen when the parents wash the baby quilt? I don't think so. The LQS owners certainly weren't going to contact a manufacturer when it was my fault for washing a 100% cotton from a good line.
    That definitely is an event that falls into the "What the ????? " category.

I had that happen to me, too. I was told that I should not have washed a cotton quilting type cloth.

I don't usually make a fuss, but I do when that happens. And the more people around, the better.

I do try being nice, first. Idiocy annoys me.

I bought a quilt kit once from an online store. I also bought the backing fabric which was a red. The bleeding looked like a car wreck. I called the company and they gave me store credit for the kit and the backing fabric. I was really impressed with the customer service.

I told them I had washed the finished quilt with color catchers and they did tell me that that isn't best practice. I should have pre-treated the fabric with a dye stabilizers instead.
    Happy quilting everybody!

I think telling the store about a bleeding fabric is a great idea and helpful for the LQS to be able to advise customers purchasing the same fabric. I am not sure how cost effective it would be for them to return bolts of bleeding fabric to suppliers, or how having to do that will increase the cost of fabric for us. As quilters, we do know about the possibility of bleeding and can choose to test and retest the possible offending fabric or choose to not use it at all.
    JMO
    Dee
    Last edited by quiltingnewf; 06-30-2018 at 03:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Way back when - Madras plaids and indigo denims had that on the bolt - that the dyes would probably bleed.
    I remember the madras plaids. They advertised that they bled. The kids my age back then thought it was really cool and everyone had to have at least a couple of madras shirts. The ads said that they would change colors every time they were washed. They were made in India right after their independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    Just use color catchers and wash in cold water. i don't complain about small stuff. This is small stuff to me, after first wash I don't see bleeders.
    It's not small stuff to me when I pay LQS prices for a fabric to go in a quilt for a new family member. Earthshaking, no. Worth losing sleep over, no, but neither is it small stuff.

I bought 6 yards of a red fabric. I laundered it at lest 6 times and could not get it to stop bleeding. I still have that yardage but have not used it yet. I am going to make a "comforter" (sheet or fabric on both sides with polyester batting and then tying. I will use the same fabric on both sides and let it bleed. It was costly and I am much more careful than I was in those days.

Yes, I had a red fabric from the Moda line, that was a bleeder, that I purchased at my local quilt shop. I soaked and washed it 5 times until it stopped. I let the quilt shop owner know that this red fabric was a bleeder. She replied that red fabrics can do that sometimes.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by copycat View Post
    Yes, I had a red fabric from the Moda line, that was a bleeder, that I purchased at my local quilt shop. I soaked and washed it 5 times until it stopped. I let the quilt shop owner know that this red fabric was a bleeder. She replied that red fabrics can do that sometimes.
    A Moda fabric from a Local Quilt Shop that bled? Can't be!

It's a Moda - a "good quality" line
    It was purchased at a Local Quilt Shop

Snort!!!!!!!!!

Just the idea of having to "treat" commercially dyed fabrics with something more to keep them color-fast just ticks me off.

(I know it's not as serious a problem as world hunger, etc. etc. etc. - but, to me, it's in the category of an avoidable nuisance.)

I think the least the manufacturers could do, would be to put a warning/advisory line on the bolt end saying that - for whatever reason - "this fabric may bleed - pretreating with Retayne (or whatever) may minimize the problem".

I know that there are new regulations about what dyes can (or should) be used in the US. But what about the rest of the world?

As far as that goes, are Retayne and Synthropol "user friendly"?
    Last edited by bearisgray; 07-01-2018 at 03:50 AM.

I don't understand why when I buy fabrics that have a print with red....black....navy....they don't bleed. So why should we be expected to have to purchase other products to aid in controlling the bleed issue?

I know it's frustrating, but it's unfortunately a cost of using a particular color. I love red. Yes, I've purchased high-end cotton fabric (red) and yes, it did bleed when I tested it. I treated it with the product I use to set dyes and re-tested it. It no longer bled, problem solved. Unfortunately, that's the problem with which we are faced. I pre-wash because of the chemicals which might precipitate an asthma attack, and because I won't risk shrinkage. I also won't risk working with fabrics which could have almost anything wiped on them -- not an acceptable risk.

Blog Entries
    A friend and I bought identical fabrics for a project. She washed one white fabric that had tiny red stars on it. The red from the stars ran badly, ruining the fabric. She then tried removing the excess dye with a commercial excess dye remember vet. The pink was gone from the white part, but the red stars turned orange. After hearing of her experience, I used Retayne and, fortunately, had no problem. She informed the shop where we bought the fabric, but only got a shrug of the shoulders.