Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
bleeding fabric? >

bleeding fabric?

bleeding fabric?

Old 02-03-2024, 02:52 PM

Default bleeding fabric?

I have some red and black buffalo plaid flannel from JoAnn's fabric. I have washed it 3 times with a color catcher, then dried it, then washed again with 2 color catchers-they look the same as the first 3-RRREDDD. I know there is something to put in the wash to stop this, but can't remember what it is called. Can anyone help me? Or should I just throw it away? I really don't want to use it as is and ruin the finished quilt. Thanks for any ideas.
Old 02-03-2024, 03:20 PM

You should wait to use the fabric until you feel good about the amount of color coming out. If you are not using white, you might be ok. Responding on another thread today about the only problem I've ever had was with maroon bleeding onto my white and turning it baby pink.

I think Retayne is the product you are looking for. There is also Rit Color Stay. Soda ash is more used to prepare fabric for dying than using it as a fixative but might be worth a shot. The Rit and Soda Ash can often be found with tie dye kits at Walmart!

There are other things you can do like heat treat, depending on how much fabric you have...

Don't use in your washing machine but with troublesome fabrics I like to do a bit of a soak with a small amount of original Dawn dish soap.

Old 02-03-2024, 04:32 PM

A product called Retayne. Bottle says "it stops the bleed", and I've soaked fabric/quilts in a washer with it a time or two in my years of quilting. Use 1 tsp/ per yard of fabric and allow to soak for 20 minutes. Directions are on the bottle. Not sure where I ordered mine from so you will have to "google" it.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:02 PM

Thanks, I will look for the Retayne, I could not remember the name. I will give another shot. Or else it is getting the heave-ho, I'm just not going to risk it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-03-2024, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Flannel can be particularly troublesome. You can get Retayne at Dharma Trading Company online.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

My experience with bleeding fabric has taught me it makes more sense to buy a different fabric then try to stop it from bleeding, after first wash, with special products, lots of washes, effort and time involved.
Old 02-04-2024, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My experience with bleeding fabric has taught me it makes more sense to buy a different fabric then try to stop it from bleeding, after first wash, with special products, lots of washes, effort and time involved.
i tend to agree witb this. After three soaks and washes. It is time to give it up.

I DO NOT donate this fabric to anyone. No need to cause anyone else a problem.

If it was a recent purchase , i might try returning it to the sture.

Did the label on The end of the bolt say anything ab9ut bleeding? It might be worded as " wash before using."

Old 02-04-2024, 09:38 AM
Power Poster

I agree, do not donate, just toss !
Old 02-04-2024, 03:57 PM
Power Poster

If you are using it with all dark fabrics it should be okay. If you plan to use it with white….don’t.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:11 PM

Thanks everyone, I did order the Retayne. but if doesn't work, I will just toss it. I don't know if I should even use it for a dog bed for rescue animals.