Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blessed with more fabric and books! >

Blessed with more fabric and books!

Blessed with more fabric and books!

Old 06-25-2015, 09:26 AM

I was just going to post a question about how you develop a stash. I have been just buying for the project that I am in the process of doing. I buy what the pattern says to buy but no more. It seems I am always having to go buy fabric. I never have any. How do you collect so much? Is it worth it to buy the smaller pre cut fabrics that i keep seeing and hearing about?
Old 06-25-2015, 09:31 AM

Well, it's nice having some good things to look forward to, right, even if you can't use them right now? I'm all for that!

There are some wonderfully giving people in the world. A very dear friend of mine, who is approaching 90 years old, got in touch yesterday. She is gifting me with one of her Viking embroidery machines! The offer came out of the blue and I'm really touched that she thought of me. I'll enjoy thinking of her while I'm using the machine.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:42 AM

When a collection outgrows the space, when it causes stress--concern about financial investment, concern about getting it used, concern about it overtaking more important priorities, concerns about family conflicts. Then it might be time to make some important evaluations and perhaps changes
Old 06-25-2015, 09:47 AM

I look at it this way. Many people are collectors - stamps, commemorative plates, old fashioned toys, etc, even tractors. Most stuff that is collectable is in no way useful except that it gives the owner pleasure, and if it doesn't interfere with living a normal life, I say go for it. At least our fabric collections will ultimately be useful should we choose to sew with them instead of just admiring and fondling them. Now, excuse me while I go adjust a pile or two.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:22 AM

me too. Wonder when we do quit? Yes an addiction.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by wildwoodflower12390 View Post
I'm a confessed fabric-alcholic, I don't think there is a cure......
If you find a cure, please let us know
Old 06-25-2015, 12:29 PM

Even though I have enough fabric to last several years, I can't resist adding a piece or two. There is a country store that discounts their fabric after awhile and probably once a month I have to check it out and never come home empty handed. I have been organizing my fabric by colors and if I see some combinations that would work well together, I try to separate by that also...so even though there is a lot, I can still view it and put combinations I like together. It was just in bin drawers before and then I was sort of lost. Now it is on book shelves stacked in folded piles. If there is some that I really don't care for, I pass it on to someone else. Yes is is a bit of an addiction for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DeborahH View Post
I was just going to post a question about how you develop a stash. I have been just buying for the project that I am in the process of doing. I buy what the pattern says to buy but no more. It seems I am always having to go buy fabric. I never have any. How do you collect so much? Is it worth it to buy the smaller pre cut fabrics that i keep seeing and hearing about?
Deborah, the easiest way to grow your stash is to buy a bit more than what the pattern states. If the project states 2 yards for fabric A, then buy 2 1/2 yards. If you see a fabric you like but don't have a special project yet, buy a yard or two.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:44 PM

I really did that, spent the money on things I knew would be guilty later. The money was gone, but I am using the stuff now. I have started a home for wounded machines and am slowly rehabbing them. I admire your machine shed and your vast knowledge about vintage machines. I am just trying to keep the great ones out of the landfill and donating the not so great ones to worthy organizations. Keep up your good work. We so enjoy your posts and learn so much from them.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sync View Post
Deborah, the easiest way to grow your stash is to buy a bit more than what the pattern states. If the project states 2 yards for fabric A, then buy 2 1/2 yards. If you see a fabric you like but don't have a special project yet, buy a yard or two.
Thanks for the advice. I wasn't sure how much you buy when you find fabric you like but don't have a pattern in mind yet. So a couple yards will do. Thanks