Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bloc loc or Creative Grids >

Bloc loc or Creative Grids

Bloc loc or Creative Grids

Old 12-08-2022, 08:15 PM

Default Bloc loc or Creative Grids

I entered a raffle and won a $100. Amazon gift card. I would like to buy a few new rulers but not sure which ones to purchase. I have a 5x24 Omnigrid ruler with a lip that I’ve been using forever. Maybe a new 6 x 24 or a 60* triangle? But again which brand gives you the best options?
Old 12-09-2022, 03:29 AM

I am a Creative Grids fan, the only other rulers I use are Quilters Select.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:26 AM

I'm a ruler/template junkie. I have more of the Creative Grids than anything else, but seriously LOVE the Loc-bloc for triming my blocks down accurately. I also have two of the Quilters Select rulers but very seldom grab for them. There are also some Missouri Star rulers/templates in my holders. Not afraid to buy a new one even if it's something that will only get used once a year.
Make a list of all the rulers/templates you really want, and from there figure out which ones you would get the most use from.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:09 AM

Creative Grids rulers are my "every day" choice. When making flying geese or small HST's, the Bloc Locs are great for trimming. I buy them individually, as the bundles have sizes that are too large to make them useful for me. The FG are specific to size needed, but for HST's, you can use a bigger one to trim down a smaller size. For example, you can use the 4.5" HST to trim a 2.5" HST. I don't use the biggest one I have (6.5") as that large a size is easier to make accurately to begin with, and it's too big, making it cumbersome to trim down smaller ones (most of mine would need to be trimmed to 2.5" or 2"). Both have several videos showing their products being used.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:27 AM

Be careful buying Creative Grids rulers on Amazon. There are a lot of rulers that look like Creative Grid that are not.
Old 12-09-2022, 05:36 AM

I too love my Bloc Loc rulers for trimming down HST's. They are a must have for me now.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:03 AM
Power Poster

I love the new big rulers the 12 1/2 x 24 and the 8 1/2 by 24 by Creative Grids. I would get the Clearly Slotted Triangle Trimmer ruler. I like it better then the Block Loc but do use both. Be sure when ordering from Amazon that all the rulers are sold by a reputable shop that has a website. I have accumulated a huge amount of rulers over the years of every brand and type. My favorite brand is Quilter's Select for basic sizes, CG for speciality size, and Missouri Star for templates and fun shapes.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:50 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. If I understand correctly, bloc loc rulers are best for trimming. Now it’s between creative grids and quilters select for my every day cutting. Will have to do more research.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:57 AM

I would buy the CG XL Stripology ruler. I have a June Taylor one and I am surprised at how often I use it and how versatile it is. The ruler is much more accurate and consistent than when I cut the strips with my 6X24 ruler. The CG rulers seem very sturdy as well.

Happy shopping!
Old 12-09-2022, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

The main difference between the Block Lock and Trimmers is with the Block Lock you trim with the hst open. With the Trimmer you trim with it closed. I usually press my hst seams open so the Trimmer works best for me.