Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Block numbers >

Block numbers

Block numbers

Old 06-23-2020, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

Default Block numbers

I just read a tip for keeping track of blocks. Recycle old calendars by cutting the numbered squares apart and pinning them to your blocks.
Old 06-23-2020, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

Good idea. I try to get those big flathead pins and write the number on the head. Then I can pin a stack and number it as the same time.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:11 AM

Several years ago I bought a pkg of small plastic numbers with a loop on them for safety pins and use them to number my rows.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:25 AM
Power Poster

great tip,, thanks for sharing
Old 06-24-2020, 03:31 AM

I took some small binder clips - yep the same ones from the office - and used some tape to label numbers. They work great.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:24 AM

What a great idea, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:29 AM

Super idea! Thanks Tartan.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:32 AM

I found those flat head pins expensive so bought a pack of baby beads with the alphabets on them. Comes with a couple hundred. Then slipped one each on a yellow-headed pin and added a drop of Elmer's glue down the hole. Stuck them upsidedown on the bottom side of my ironing board until dry. Made 8 sets which gives me 26 each. Have given some sets away too. If the bead comes apart I just add another drop of glue and let it dry again. These come in handy when doing bargellos, multiple block types, etc.
Attached Thumbnails pins-letters.jpg  
Old 06-24-2020, 04:53 AM

That's a great idea...but I would take a lot of time just looking for the right pin! Personally, I just take a little pack of the small post it notes, number them, then pull them off as needed and pin them to the block.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:58 AM

low tech here…..I just cut out little squares from scrap paper....number then with the row number and column letter...1-a, 1-b, 1-c. etc.....then I pin the squares to the upper left hand corner of the block about 1/2 inch in so they are not in the seam line....as I sew the blocks into rows, I remove most of the squares and keeping them in order...pin all the squares for that row together...at the end I I put all my pined together row numbers in a container for the next quilt....I can usually reuse my numbers several times before I need to make new ones. I usually leave the first row number attached to the row until the rows are stitched together and the top is complete so to make sure I didn't put blocks and rows together wrong. No fun unstitching.....I do not have a space big enough for a design wall...so lay everything out on my bed.