Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Blocks on barns?

Try going to Barn Quilts.com
    or Barn Quilts of Sac Couonty Iowa
    You will get LOTS of options

These barn quilt blocks are over the country. Our office did a project about them (hoping to improve tourism in the area). A very knowledgeable lady who is an authority on quilting and is pictured in Eleanor Burns' book about barns was a lead contact in the study. Some Chamber of Commerce office have maps detailing the routes of these blocks on various barns.

This is very traditional and as there is a revival, many people are conducting barn quilt tours and competitions.

Here's info we put in a recent guild newsletter on an upstate New York Barn tour:

Here’s a little more info on the Barn Quilt Tour, a first-of-its-kind travel experience for New York State – a 22-mile loop tour off the Great Lakes Seaway Trail byway to see more than 40 quilt blocks painted on barns in the Town of Kendall. Travelers can follow a free audio tour accessible by cell phone or collect a map available at Seaway Trail Inc. member Partyka Farms Market at 1420 County Line Road, 3 miles south of the Seaway Trail.

The Country Barn Quilt Trail has grown to include more than forty barns and other buildings adorned with hand painted quilt squares throughout the farming communities of Orleans County, near the southern shores of radiant Lake Ontario.

http://www.countrybarnquilttrail.com/

Pennsylvania is also loaded with them. Also 'hex' signs, too. They're not as neat as the brightly-colored quilt blocks.

Accuquilt is having a contest to design a barn quilt. There are a lot of them in the midwest.

The idea of Barn Quilts began in with the Pennsylvania Dutch immigrants way back when. Then it kind of peaked and disappeared. In 2001, Donna Groves in WV, bought a farm with her mother and painted one on the side of the barn to honor her mother's love of quilting. That set off a movement to paint them so there would be a trail people could follow. It was an community PR thing. Now there are Barn Quilt Trails all across the United States.
    In my home county, our quilt trail was begun last August and we have 15 now hung with contracts signed for another 17. You can see them in Facebook under Daviess County Barn Quilt Trail. Many times an individual will paint one and put them up. Frequently, a local Extension Service through a University will sponsor them, and sometimes a quilt guild will. In our case, the local extension service with some guild members got it started. They order a special metal sign board and special paint through a place in Chicago. The ones that are painted on wood and hung do not last very long. The elements are not kind. The metal ones they are hanging now, should last a long time. I've just loved driving through the state finding the quilt trails. In Kentucky, if you google The Kentucky Barn Quilt Trail, you can find counties maps that tell you exactly where to find them. It's so much fun to see one as a surprise! We charge $300 for an 8' X 8' one. It's sort of become a status symbol in Daviess County, KY.

Blog Entries
    During the civil war the underground railroad use to hang quilts to show the slave where to find safe haven. Maybe that is the reason the barn block have come fashionable

aahhh so you were up my way, they are called Barn Quilts and is the rage these days. There are several areas across the country where you will find these.
    Generally, the block depicts some heritage of the people or the farm.
    Joan

I am working on Eleanor Burns' Barn Quilt now. I have several blocks done. It is wonderful.

Tennessee is full of them. They are beautiful and really a nice sight.

Hi
    I'm from Ohio and have taken a picture of one on Rt 77

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Nurse
    We just returned from a trip to Iowa. Between Caledonia and Hokah, MN we saw several barns with approx 8 X 8 squares, painted, which appeared to be quilt squares. One was a pinwheel, another hour glass, etc. One barn had multiple squares. Is this some type of quilter insignia or has quilting just gone to my head? We also saw one or two in WI.
    Northern Indiana in Amish country, Napanee and Shipshewana areas have numerous ones. Quite lovely. It was done as a promotion by their local tourist board, I think.

On the way home from Michigan last year, coming through Indiana we spent a half day on their Quilt Trail. We got a map and followed part of it. The map had the location obviously and a little info about the design etc. We tried this in RI, but got to the town to late to get the map and couldn't stay til the next day. I hope my next trail to visit is in Kentucky, got some of their info off the web and it looks like fun. Also a good way to see some areas you might not get to otherwise, (not all in the country on barns either). I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you follow one.

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired Nurse
    We just returned from a trip to Iowa. Between Caledonia and Hokah, MN we saw several barns with approx 8 X 8 squares, painted, which appeared to be quilt squares. One was a pinwheel, another hour glass, etc. One barn had multiple squares. Is this some type of quilter insignia or has quilting just gone to my head? We also saw one or two in WI.
    Northern Indiana in Amish country, Napanee and Shipshewana areas have numerous ones. Quite lovely. It was done as a promotion by their local tourist board, I think.
    This is the one we went on, only did about half of it though, time constraints and 13 yr old GS with us, he wasn't to interested.

I saw a few of these this summer during a road trip and now I can't remember what sate I was in when I saw them. I remember thinking, "I wish my husband would let me paint something like that on our barn".

No it is just something that got started. They are registered, someplace, Here they are at Chamber of Commeris. They are getting to be more and more all the time.
    I am from Iowa if that helps

a childhood friend and i went to Kentucky to visit another childhood friend...
    there were a lot on the barns down there too...we would have loved to take pictures of all the ones we saw...will have to be a project for next time...altho we did manage to get one or two pics without being run over...lol

They are getting quite popular here in WV. I have already purchased the wood and had it cut into squares and trying to decide what patterns to use. They are going to be gifts for my daughter and my niece who both love quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring
    I saw a few of these this summer during a road trip and now I can't remember what sate I was in when I saw them. I remember thinking, "I wish my husband would let me paint something like that on our barn".
    You don't paint directly onto the barn or building. You paint it on squares of heavy plywood and then attach it to the barn or building. I guess you could paint it directly to the building, though.

I hope you bought treated wood. Plywood won't hold up more than a year or so. It would be a shame to put all the work into it, then have it rot so quickly. Our group here is painting them on metal for that reason.

Plywood WILL NOT hold up anytime at all. The art teacher here wouldn't listen when we told her they had to be done on metal or specially treated wood. Plus, they are tremendously heavy when painted on wood.

You either have to paint them directly on the barn/building or paint them on lightweight metal.

Yes, it is heavy plywood that has been treated and I was advised to put a sealer on it. However, I sure am glad you told me. I know it's going to be a lot of work and I sure don't want it to fall apart immediately. Thanks for the info.

There are a bunch in IL too. July, August, & September will be Quilt Fest in the 6 counties across Northern IL. See www.northernillinoisquiltfest.com for more info. I just finished drawing a "Corn and Beans" quilt block for Von Bergen's Country Market east of Hebron, IL.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
    Pennsylvania is also loaded with them. Also 'hex' signs, too. They're not as neat as the brightly-colored quilt blocks.
    I thought this is where the squares started with the hex signs in Amish country.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast