Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blocks coming out too small >

Blocks coming out too small

Blocks coming out too small

Old 10-31-2009, 08:35 PM

I agree with the others, but have one other suggestion. For me, switching to a thinner thread for piecing made a big difference, especially when sewing with some of the thicker fabrics, like Moda for example. I use Aurifil 50 weight, 2 ply for most of my piecing, especially in quilts with many small pieces. Each seam eats up more fabric. It is strong even tho thinner than your standard 3 ply. There are other fine 2 ply threads available, too.

Sometimes, pressing your seams open will make them lie flatter, too.

Hope you find these suggestions helpful. :)

Happy sewing,

Old 10-31-2009, 08:44 PM
Power Poster

My guess is you are making a common beginner mistake of "making sure" you have a 1/4" seam -- which translates to making it a little bigger rather than scant. This, in combination with regular thread and perhaps imprecise pressing, would explain why your blocks are coming out too small. It can be difficult to accept that a scan 1/4" is better than a generous 1/4", but it's true. Many of us who were taught to use 5/8" seams for clothing construction find it difficult to believe that a scant 1/4" is enough to hold a seam together, but for quilting it really is.

It's a good idea to measure and cut 1-1/2" strips to practice on. Sew 3 of these together (about 6 inches in length is enough), press, and then measure to see if they are an exact 4" wide. Adjust your seam allowance until these practice strips measure exactly as they should. I position a strip of thick moleskin on my sewing machine at that point to ensure that all of my seams are sewn to that measurement.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:16 PM

Thanks Ladies. I'm working with triangles & it's hard to get all the seams to line up. I'll give these methods a try.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sheila Elaine
Thanks Ladies. I'm working with triangles & it's hard to get all the seams to line up. I'll give these methods a try.
Triangles? LOTS of starch! :)
Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
find a thin, flat see-through ruler. when you line up the 1/4" line, your stitching should be lined up directly under the line on the ruler. if your stitching line is visible above the line - even if it's poker straight and right along the line, it's more than 1/4". like ... 7/32" ... or maybe 5/16". that teeny bit is just enough to throw off the finished size of your block.

move your needle 1 click to the right, but use the 1/4" foot as you normally do. don't change anything about that. i'll bet they come out the right size.
Ok, thank you. It makes sense that I could be too far over... I usually cut my pieces a little too big (partially because I know I lose some :lol: ) so it might make sense I'm stitching a little more over than I should...

I like the needle trick.

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2009, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Milly's Mom
I had this problem doing miniatures until someone told me about aurifil thread. It is finer but just as strong than the standard quilting cotton thread and has made a difference in that hair size of being off when blocks are made. Do you preshrink/pre wash your fabric? If not, you may be shrinking the fabric just enough when you press to make a difference. Since each fabric is different this could be an issue.
I do use Aurifil for that reason

No, I don't prewash anything. I like the crispness of it when it comes from the quilt shop. It's easier for me to work with. And since I'm ironing with steam, that could be why too... hmmmm
Old 11-03-2009, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shemjo
This is the hardest thing to master in quilting. I work on using the SCANT quarter inch and it helps, but in a block with lots of seams, it can be troublesome! Pressing WELL is essential. Starch helps!
I tried Best Press and it distorted my seams... I think it goes back to me not prewashing, so the liquid shrinks/expands/does something that makes it so my seams are no longer straight.

I took a class with Anita Grossman Solomon and she starches the heck out of her fabrics. I'm not a fan of the smell of the starch, but she recommended getting scentless (go figure). I think I get nervous about adding lots of things to the fabric ahead of time... I'd rather get it home, iron, cut, sew... no added starch, markings, etc.....
Old 11-03-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
My 1/4 foot isn't! I have to move my needle a click or so to make it work.
:shock: :shock: I never even thought of that!