Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blocks that just don't square up to right size >

Blocks that just don't square up to right size

Blocks that just don't square up to right size

Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 AM

Default Blocks that just don't square up to right size

I started making a new quilt using the Ohio Star block. This is a block I have done on several occasions. It is not a difficult block. I am using the Accuquilt die for this block. Of course it is designed with no leeway for error in seam allowance. So it is time to get a more accurate 1/4" pressure foot for my machine. Any way my blocks are coming up smaller than the 12 1/2" unfinished blocks they should be. I have had to square each piece and block much smaller. My blocks will be 11 1/2" square. This is no real problem for me since this quilt is just for me!
I am sure many others have trouble with our without cutting dies in squaring up blocks... How many of us square to a smaller size when a quilt is just for ourselves or even a quilt you are making for a loved one or a quilt that the block size is not an issue?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

Ohio Star is not a very forgiving block for trimming down because you will lose all your star points when you join the blocks or attach sashing. Does your machine have the capability of moving the needle over a bit? If so, you may want to move it over one click to see if this helps with your 1/4" seam allowance. I don't have a die cutter machine so I cut with a rotary cutter. For Ohio Star I will make the hourglass units slightly oversize and trim the units down to the correct size. I don't think you have that option with a die cutter so your only option is to work on getting your seam allowance correct. Another thing that can affect your 1/4" seam allowance is thick thread. Maybe you can try a couple practice pieces using a finer thread to see if that helps.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Ohio Star is not a very forgiving block for trimming down because you will lose all your star points when you join the blocks or attach sashing. Does your machine have the capability of moving the needle over a bit? If so, you may want to move it over one click to see if this helps with your 1/4" seam allowance. I don't have a die cutter machine so I cut with a rotary cutter. For Ohio Star I will make the hourglass units slightly oversize and trim the units down to the correct size. I don't think you have that option with a die cutter so your only option is to work on getting your seam allowance correct. Another thing that can affect your 1/4" seam allowance is thick thread. Maybe you can try a couple practice pieces using a finer thread to see if that helps.
The machine I am using does not have the ability to move the needle over <sigh>. This is one draw back of this Juki. Fortunately, I am able to get all the hour glass points right on! I had to take and square up all the pieces about 1/4" smaller all the way around to get a good workable size. Good Idea about the thread thickness.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by juliasb View Post
The machine I am using does not have the ability to move the needle over <sigh>. This is one draw back of this Juki. Fortunately, I am able to get all the hour glass points right on! I had to take and square up all the pieces about 1/4" smaller all the way around to get a good workable size. Good Idea about the thread thickness.
You must not be using the 2010Q, as the standard foot is smaller than 1/4" and should help. Maybe press seams open?

hugs,
charlotte, hoping not to be Capt. Obvious
Old 01-20-2020, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

I don't like the wide 7mm or 9 mm stitch width machines for piecing. With the feed dogs being so wide it's almost impossible to get a true 1/4" for me. If a block doesn't finish the size it's suppose to I know I'm doing something that is off. I don't keep sewing more until I figure it out.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:25 PM
Power Poster

I misunderstood your original post, so you are trimming the units down and as a result your block is coming out smaller. Got it. In this case, unless your pattern calls for an alternate block to form a secondary pattern, I really don't think it matters. But if there is an alternate block, you will need to adjust it accordingly as well. If you are using sashing you will need to adjust the size of the sashing strips to match your blocks. Ultimately, it doesn't make much difference as long as you are happy with the completed blocks and quilt. Your quilt will just finish slightly smaller than the estimated size using 12 1/2" u/f blocks.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:59 PM

There are a couple of other things that shrink the block besides the 1/4 inch seam.

I have used too much starch and ironing. It shrinks the block. Be sure there isn't any fabric left in the seam allowance when pressing. That can shrink the blocks too.

Yes, I have cut down to square up if needed. You should see the points on my first sampler cut with the AQ dies. There are lots of points missing. Even with the 1/4 guide, I still miss the points sometimes.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:54 PM

I try to avoid following a specific pattern that requires certain size blocks. Then, whatever size they come out to be, is exactly what I "intended"! As long as it's consistent, it works!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 PM

If you are using starch, especially if you are using steam to press, it might be what's causing the shrinkage. I was hooked on steam until as long armer, I started to use the method of heavy starch and steam on wavy borders to shrink the excess--it works! So figured that it would be wise to quit steaming my blocks. Only time I use steam is on yardage now. I do think the Accuquilt dies (which I love) assume you are using a very accurate scant 1/4" seam!
Old 01-21-2020, 04:18 AM

I have done that. As long as I consistently lose the points, it's not a problem for me. Even in the quilts I give away.