Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
blocks not same size >

blocks not same size

blocks not same size

Old 10-30-2010, 04:20 PM

Well, now I really feel stupid. Pretty new to this. THANKS, don't know WHY I didn't think of this.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:40 PM

Sometimes the problem might be in the pressing rather than in the sewing. . .
Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM

Color could be playing tricks on your eyes. You know how realtors use light colors in a room to make it look bigger. This is the same principle.

It could be that you are using the wrong mark on the ruler when you cut. If you cut on the inside of the line or right on top of the line, your block will be off. You always want to cut on the outside (waste side) so that your block is just a couple of threads bigger than the measurement. This will help compensate for the few threads that are lost when the seam is pressed. (Yes, it is a minute amount, but it plays havoc with your stitching.)

You have to be absolutely diligent about cutting the same way each time, and stitching an accurate 1/4". Take the time to determine where you need to feed the fabric to be absolutely accurate. A little time spent to get this skill down will pay you big rewards later on with less time spent unpicking.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:56 PM

Remember, if it is perfect, it is not art. And good luck trying to believe it.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:19 PM

[quote=clem55]I'm just going through this, but on little thin strips that aren't very long. yet when I measure seams,lengths,width they all "appear" to be on target. For the life of me, I am stumped right now. I sure don't want to rip 100's of seams!LOL[/quote

WOW! Sounds like the two of you are having visits from the Halloween Goblins...LOL Some wee litlle ones are sure giving you both a hard time. The full moon has past so it must be Hob Goblins playing tricks on you. I'm sure you both will work out these problems after a good nights sleep.

Andie :-D :-D :-D
Old 10-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Dee

Maybe just a trim. This happens to me to.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:21 AM

I think my problem was using different sewing machines, plus, I know that cutting with the rotery cutter made a difference. My eyes aren't that good, and some strips were not exact. I worked with the problem, and after some ripping, and re-sewing those, most things are lining up. May have to do a little trimming, but expected that since I used different fabrics , and cut in different grain lines. This is a scrappy pattern. I now know to stick with the same ruler, mark ruler with tape, and use the same machine. PS... I also know I don't want to sew 1 1/2 x3 1/2 strips anymore!!LOL
Old 10-31-2010, 08:56 AM

hi,

had problem like this too.
to find out one of my rulers I cut along when roter cutting,
was 61/2 inches wide. my other one that iI use is only 6 inches wide.

don't give up keep going.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by clem55
. . . PS... I also know I don't want to sew 1 1/2 x3 1/2 strips anymore!!LOL
My very first quilt was this size of strips!! That was in 1971. I wonder what ever happened to that quilt. It was made from scraps from my trunk, from the clothes I had made for myself from about the age of 9 and the doll clothes I had made.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:12 PM

If you are put a one patch with a four patch, I always make my 4 patch first and then cut the one patch to match whatever size it comes out. I still have a hard time get my sewn patches to come out at the right size. They always seem to be just under the correct measurement. I use a scant 1/4 but it doesn't seem to always work out like it should.
Find the smallest block and square up everything else to match. We won't tell that it was supposed to be bigger.