Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
blocks or yards? >

blocks or yards?

blocks or yards?

Old 03-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Isis, I have bought those squares on ebay before for a good price, but haven't used all of them yet. By the time you pay shipping and handling on these squares though, it doesn't end up being a bargain. 20 squares won't make much of a quilt, so you'd have to order several sets (depending on how big you want your quilt.) If you stick to the same color, it would make a really pretty scrappy quilt, so don't worry about using them. Sometimes, I pick fabric first and then find a pattern I like that I think would look nice for those colors and fabrics. Other times, I find a pattern I love and then pick fabric for it. One way that I use (and recommend for my beginner students) for choosing fabrics is to pick a print, maybe a nice floral, that you love with several colors in it, then match those colors in other fabrics. You can mix a large floral with small florals, or a plaid or stripe, but if you like quilts that are less busy, choose fabrics that are tone on tone or small prints. But the bottom line is that you must love your choices! Then you can't go wrong!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:35 PM

Isis -

20 squares @ 4 x 4 end up being almost 1/4 yard. You can buy a fat quarter for $1 if you get a good price, and around here they typically run $2 in the quilt shops. If there is any way you can set up a cutting board, you will probably get better prices by cutting your own squares.

The charm packs are great because they are usually pre-coordinated. Nothing wrong with using that convenience, especially since in your situation the extra $ spent may be less important than the space constraints.

I think if you choose the charm pack route, you can make a beautiful quilt. I've seen lots of packages on the web and in shops that would make pretty quilts. You will still have to do some cutting, though. If you start with the squares, you won't have to have much space - a TV tray as some others suggested will suffice.

Be sure to post pics of your finished product.

Darren