Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
blue pigma pen >

blue pigma pen

blue pigma pen

Old 08-24-2016, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
You didn't do anything wrong - except for using those pens on fabric. They were never designed for fabric that would be laundered, and the manufacturer is probably tired of telling quilters to quit using them.
Too bad one of the pen companies doesn't develop a fabric marking pen for quilters. I guess they don't realize how big the demand us for such a product.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:43 AM
Power Poster

Use Permenent Fabric Markers on Fabric. You should be able to find Fabric markers at hobby lobby, Joanne's, Michaels , if not visit Dharma Trading Company-- they are suppliers of fabric Dyes and most everything you need to create on fabric. They have many, many fabric markers available.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:51 AM

I do hand embroider mine which is not foolproof either.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:02 AM
Power Poster

I have always used Pigma micron pens which I have used for years. I don't trust new products and there was a post a couple of months ago informing that this product was not made to be used on fabric.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:31 AM

Maybe if it's heat bonded first with iron...just a thought.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:38 AM

If that quilt top was made in the mid-1990's:

The blue pen was supposed to be washed out and not ironed over. The purple one disappeared into "air" - water would make it go faster. The pens were made by Dritz and others. Viking Sewing machines passed out a purple one. I still have it. Unused. If Pigma was in the color market, it would have been for artists, and not sewist. Even in art design classes we were urged to use Pantone.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 AM

I have always used pigma pens. Until this post I had never heard that you were not suppose to use on fabric. In Houston last year I purchased a pen from the Bohin Booth and it says it's a permanent pen for fabrics. I do like it a lot. It writes darker than anything else I have used. The instructions say for best results iron for 1 minute.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
If that quilt top was made in the mid-1990's:

The blue pen was supposed to be washed out and not ironed over. The purple one disappeared into "air" - water would make it go faster. The pens were made by Dritz and others. Viking Sewing machines passed out a purple one. I still have it. Unused. If Pigma was in the color market, it would have been for artists, and not sewist. Even in art design classes we were urged to use Pantone.
I used a Pigma micron pen - not one of the "wash out marker pens"

At the time, these pens were at most fabric stores - frequently on the check out counter - so it did not occur to me that these were "not made for fabrics."

Last edited by bearisgray; 08-24-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I used a Pigma micron pen - not one of the "wash out marker pens"

At the time, these pens were at most fabric stores - frequently on the check out counter - so it did not occur to me that these were "not made for fabrics."

Fabric stores sold embroidery machines of all styles and types. These were referred to as Oooops pens.

If your white bobbin thread showed through, you covered the stitches with one of these Ooops pens. The pens were permanent markers. Taught to use in both Babylock and Pfaff machine embroidery classes. I've used more than my share.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 08-24-2016 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:35 PM

Typically you can get ink out with hairspray. I'd completely remove the current markings and then launder it so you are working with a clean "canvas" rather than trying to layer ink on top of ink.

You can permanently set ink with fabric medium. I know they sell small 3oz (or less) bottles of it at HL. There's a good chance JAF sells some, too. Or you can order online at http://www.dickblick.com/products/go...fabric-medium/