Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Blue vs green >

Blue vs green

Blue vs green

Old 05-06-2015, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I have had a brand new olfa blade skip - always at the same intervsl - so I decided it was a defective blade.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:24 AM

I'm very glad to know this. I was contemplating one of the combo boards, but it sounds like I just need to get a portable ironing board to take to retreats. I love my green cutting mats - I have all sizes for different cutting needs. Thanks again, Susan
Old 05-06-2015, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by EasyPeezy View Post
I don't think it's the colour...it's whether it's self-healing or not. I'm going to order an
X-Acto self-healing cutting mat (grey) because I just discovered that cutting dark
fabric on my green/black mat is almost impossible.
It is not so much the color, as it is the materials it is made from. I have the cutting mat/ironing surface and yes, it is NOT a good cutting mat. It is a hard surface which is hard on rotary blades also. Also found that out with my first big cutting mat; it too is a hard surface which gets permanent cuts in it and makes the blade skip and dulls fast.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Try a different blade or cutter?
Did try a new blade.......still was skipping. Don't have an extra cutter (in an RV...some things just can't be taking up space). I will continue to try....especially good when going to retreats or to quilt groups in RV parks.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 AM

I've never heard of a special titanium only cutter but in regards to the talk about mats I think that quality brands always pay whether in a mat or a sewing machine.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:22 AM

Mine is pink on one side and blue on the other. Mine is a self healing matt made for artists, same as quilting ones, but much cheaper. The hard ones are awful, even though I used one for years until I just recently bought a new good one. My pieces match now! My test for a good matt, knock on it, if it sounds hollow, keep shopping, if it sounds like a dull thud, buy it!
Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Jim has bought me two blue ones over the years because it is my favorite color. I will have to let him know about this, should we ever need another one.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Free whipping?? What kind of place is the Joann's in your town? LMAO!! 50 shades of grey fabric...

(Sorry, I know that's just a typo, but it hit my funny bone and I couldn't resist!)
I got a good chuckling out of this too!!
Old 05-06-2015, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
Not sure if there's a thread on this....just sharing my experience. First off, I have a titanium rotary cutter. Did not intend to buy one, discovered when I got home that it required titanium blades. But I LOVE this cutter. I always use the green mats for cutting fabrics. Last week I got a great deal (60% off) on a cutting mat/ironing board thing...not sure what it's called.... The mat on it is blue.....let me tell you, the blue mats do NOT allow you to cut good. It's NOT the blade. It kept skipping sections as if the blade had a ding in it. I got out my green mat and the blade cuts just fine, thank you. SO.....if anyone asks, green mat...always buy a green mat!!!!!!!
Thank you so much for your input on this matter. I've been using a blue mat. I couldn't figure out if it was my rotary cutter or me but it kept skipping like you said. Had no idea it would be the mat. What a relief, kept changing blades, only helped a little.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:38 PM

I have several of the June Taylor combo mat and and iron pad and love it it is all I ever take to retreats because then I can sit at by table and do all the little stuff with out getting up all the time. I do cut at the cutting stations and iron at the iron stations for big sections but love the mat for small things.