Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bob Mackie?

Sorry, I haven't heard of him

When he is on QVC they say he has wearable art. Seems to be mostly fancy scarfs and accessories.

He also had a great perfume named "Mackie"

I've purchased several Bob Mackie tops on ebay - they all have detail embroidery and beading - they are true fit and really well sewn - makes you feel beautiful to wear them.

he also designed all of Cher's over the top stage outfits too - remember those?

Blog Entries
    Bob Mackie is a big time designer. Years ago he made dresses for all the beauty pageants and for a lot of the stars. He even designed a dress for Barbie! (the doll) At the time he was doing dresses for pageants, I was doing swimsuits for pageants so some of my clients were his clients at the same time. He is a fabulous designer but I've never seen his fabrics.

Quote Originally Posted by bluteddi
    the only " yardage" I found mentioned was yardage for scarves......
    Ditto (and doesn't that word date me? :shock: )

Now, I just cut up an old skirt to use in a quilt; is it possible this seller did the same with a Bob Mackie apparel or decor item?

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    He used a lot of sparkly beaded sequined fabrics. Even if he embellished them himself I doubt if he started with cotton.
    My girlfriend's Mother, who is in her 80's now, worked for Bob Mackie doing sequin work on gowns he designed way back when,tho she didn't mention any names of the recipients. Last year when I was visiting, she showed me a Mickey Mouse sequin applique she was working on that was breathtaking.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieR
    Quote Originally Posted by bluteddi
    the only " yardage" I found mentioned was yardage for scarves......
    Ditto (and doesn't that word date me? :shock: )

Now, I just cut up an old skirt to use in a quilt; is it possible this seller did the same with a Bob Mackie apparel or decor item?
    EEEeewww! I thought of that but didn't want to think of anyone doing that!! Not a Mackie!! :shock:

Somewhere in an antique store, I saw a collection of Barbies wearing various Bob Mackie outfits. They were priced in the hundreds!! All beautiful. But, didn't know he designed fabrics. You might do a search on bob mackie fabrics and see if anyone has his fabrics for sale.

I have several Bob Mackie tops and while they aare beautiful the material wold not be used for quilts. I also had a jacket he mde. It wa denim and embroidered. It was beautiful but I would not have wanted to cut it up for a quilt. So when I shrunk out of it I gave it away. If this woman is selling this material you should definately ask what the material is made from (cotton, denim, polyester). Is it stretch material or not.

Please let us all know "the end of the story" good or bad

Kas
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Wasn't he the one who designed the dresses of Carol Burnett when she had her TV show? And Cher?

Collection Of Carol Burnett's Costumes
    The costume which Bob Mackie designed for "Went with the Wind" speaks so much about his caliber and capabilities. Leading-lady Carol Burnett said about this ...
    www.coopersjd.com/Collection_Of_Carol_Burnett's_Costu... - Similar
    I got that Carol Burnett Barbie for my mom last Christmas! She was a real hit. I loved that segment. My mom has a giant (about 8 feet tall) photo of Scarlett in the dress she wore when she got caught hugging Ashley. My Great Uncle owned a movie theater and just loved that movie. Scarlett is almost like a family tradition.

Blog Entries
    I don't know about him designing any fabric, but he does design wearing apparel for QVC. I love his cologne, and wear it all the time. I was quite surprised that I have no allergy to it. I have used it for years. It is a tad expensive, but I have had so many compliments on it and have been so lucky to be able to wear it with my bad allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by kriscraft99
    I'm just wondering why somebody would have his fabric? (I found somebody that is selling off her fabric collection and she said some of the fabric is by him)... I have no clue what to expect and am buying it site unseen - which can be scary.

Quote Originally Posted by julia58
    If you would like to see his style, go to QVC.com, he is on there quite often.
    Can you ask to either have a sample or a pic sent to you?

That line from the Gone with the Wind segment has been one of my "lines" for years and years. Most youngsters look at me like I'm bonkers...let 'em think it....I loved the Carol Burnett show. My mom and I shared that for years together. Mrs. Whiggins.....

i have heard that name on TV somewhere but cant think of where

Bob mackie has been designing fabric his whole career. He has dressed the stars and designed the fabrics since Sonny and Cher days.

Might be interesting to have some little tidbit of his just because of who he is, sick or what? Make a pillow lol.... By the way I like the name raptureready.......

Quote Originally Posted by Momma_K View Post
    I can't imagine anything by Bob Mackie being anything but beautiful!

I am big fan of BM, owning few pieces of his furniture, very expensive, but design and construction are so quality that I have feeling that 2 generations after me can use that same bed, mirror etc

Quote Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd View Post
    Wasn't he the one who designed the dresses of Carol Burnett when she had her TV show? And Cher?

Collection Of Carol Burnett's Costumes
    The costume which Bob Mackie designed for "Went with the Wind" speaks so much about his caliber and capabilities. Leading-lady Carol Burnett said about this ...
    http://www.coopersjd.com/Collection_...tt's_Costu... - Similar
    Yes, he is.

Blog Entries
    I wear quite a few of Bob Mackie's designed clothes. He sells them on QVC, and I love them, but I didn't know he designed fabrics. He has designed scarves, I know. and probably designs the fabrics for the clothes he makes.

Banned
    Chances are that the fabric is not suitable for regular quilting. It might be good for crazy quilt type designs. Then it depens on how comfortable you are working with different textures, fibers of fabric. I would imagine it is the same as for his costume design work. Guess it depends on what you might plan on making with it. Surely the owner could give you some idea of what type - decorator weight, silk, cotton, dress weight.....etc.

Famous Bob Mackie Furniture, (or Amercian Drew) I heard and own few pieces, it is NOT cheap, but according to my taste it is ADORABLE!
    Look at link, there is huge selection, I am buying mostly from there, but there are also another places.
    Few weeks ago, bought this mirror.
    Name:  file_235_82.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  220.3 KB

Asap I get out from some debts, will buy some more interesting pieces, I am "obsessed" with this bed
    Name:  AD591_377R.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  267.9 KB

Oh me too - I love that bed! I just need: a bigger bedroom to put it in which would entail selling my house and buying something bigger at which time I will not have the money for this bed (which of course will need new mattresses to fit and of course new bedding).....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast