Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it the bobbin hook? >

Is it the bobbin hook?

Is it the bobbin hook?

Old 08-18-2019, 02:02 PM

I agree wit the others on things to do. I would like to ad that anytime my longarm tension is impossible to adjust because it keeps alternating between too tight and too loose on the same project the problem is a spring that needs replaced. You have to do some detective work to figure out which spring it is. Sometimes I replace them one at a time until I find the culprit. Good luck. I think that's the most aggravating aspect of longarmming.
Old 08-18-2019, 02:07 PM

I purchased the machine as a used model. It is a Tiara, period. No II or IIIs after it so it's got some age on it. Not saying that makes it a bad machine at all. The dealer I purchased it from is not a Babylock dealer as my Babylock dealer did not have any for sale. They took it in as a trade and knew I was looking for a sitdown machine so they called me. I do have a relationship with my local Babylock dealer where I purchased my sewing machine so I will have them take a look at it. Only thing I have not tried is prewound bobbins; although now I really don't think it's the bobbin itself or the case as it's the top thread that's getting pulled under. I will eventually get this figured out!!!
Old 08-18-2019, 02:10 PM

My initial thought was springs wondering whether they lose their ability to hold and now I know! Let's hope that is the issue. Now if I could only fix it myself so I don't have to lug this behemoth out of my house!
Old 08-18-2019, 04:15 PM

I was having a very similar problem with my LA. It had been sewing fine and then started giving me problems, and they kept getting worse - it was the same, I'd get a bit snag of top thread on the bottom and half the time the thread would break.

I was thinking the machine was going to need to go in for service, and while cleaning I noticed just a tiny bit of thread that was behind the hook assembly. I started digging around (I have dental tools to get into tiny spots) and I ended up pulling a wad of thread/lint out from behind the hook assembly. I was cleaning the area with a brush every bobbing change but I guess I just wasn't getting back there well enough. It appears the lint build up was pushing the bobbin case out just ever so slightly (it still clipped in place) and that was causing the top thread to occasionally hang up on the bobbin case. Once I cleaned that area all out, the machine sewed fine and I've not had the problem since.

I now have a small vacuum that I use to help clean the shuttle area out - that seems to be working quite well to get the lint out.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:59 AM

Hi, Just another suggestions....I have an APQS longarm...one of the suggestions I got was to get a couple of extra bobbin cases which I did....I was having problems with tension and talked to one of the local dealers....she just suggested replacing the bobbin case as it sounded to her like it was just worn out.....I did...put in one of my spares adjusted the tension a tad and problem gone....drives me nuts some times trying to figure it out....I learned to rethread and I also have learned to check the tension spring on the upper thread path to make sure it moves when I tug on the top thread....as I sometimes either miss or have my thread jump out of one of the thread guides....
Old 08-19-2019, 06:19 AM

Call Babylock. They have an 800 help number that is answered by an actual human who can provide customer support.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:44 AM

Also, this machine is the same as the HandiQuilter Sweet Sixteen and there is a very big group on FB. I'm sure they'd be happy to help if you asked them and anyone had experience with the problem.

I've asked them questions before about my Tiara.

Watson
Old 08-19-2019, 10:13 AM

If this is the same as the Sweet Sixteen, then it could easily be the same as my problem, since mine is an HQ fusion.

When you take the bobbin case out, you'll see a metal bar across the back, with openings top and bottom. The center is where the shaft connects. There is a small gap back there and that is where the lint built up. I was shocked at how much I cleaned out of that area as it was not visible at all.