Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin Issue >

Bobbin Issue

Bobbin Issue

Old 08-07-2020, 05:48 AM

Default Bobbin Issue

What causes a bobbin to wind uneven and what can be done to correct that?
Old 08-07-2020, 06:03 AM

There are many things that can happen. The bobbin itself can be misshapen. More usually there is a problem in the winding, a loose belt/gear, wrong threading, too much tension on the thread (if you hold the tail end, that freaks out some machines but is needed to start on others), and sometimes there is actually a problem with the spool/cone or how you have set that.

My friend's long arm supposedly had the "wind bobbin while you sew" option or direct bobbin threading as well. We tried everything but could not wind a decent bobbin to save our lives and decided to try prewound bobbins which worked very well for us. The size of her bobbins is M, which is not something I can locally find often (15 and L are common here) so I ordered direct from Superior Threads. Some machines are pickier than others and don't like other bobbins, so far all of machines that can fit prewounds have done fine. My Bernina has a proprietary bobbin and I can't buy prewounds for it, which I would personally consider a negative if I had the embroidery unit.

I bought a low end Brother in a box at the Goodwill for $20. Turned out the bobbin winder on it was pretty much useless, oh it made noise and spun around but it didn't really work. I bought a Simplicity Sidewinder for then about $25... It makes a big difference on whether the batteries are strong or not, but on a stable surface and using a standard spool of thread (haven't gotten good results from a cone) it winds a reasonable bobbin and makes the sewing machine a workable option.

Here's a site that compares different bobbin winders, including the Sidewinder
https://craftsmenxp.com/best-bobbin-winder/
Old 08-07-2020, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by janice1120 View Post
What causes a bobbin to wind uneven and what can be done to correct that?
I think it depends on the machine. Is it winding unevenly as in loose and tight or is it because there is more thread on one edge than the other? In the case of the former, it is generally because of speeding up and slowing down of the foot controller. It could also be that it is not feeding evenly off the spool or is catching on something. Is the spool parallel or cross wound? Is the spool pin horizontal or vertical?

If the unevenness is because it is more thread at top or bottom, many times there is an adjustment shown in the manual. One example would be like as shown as "Correct and incorrect bobbin winding" at https://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Dia...ng_Diagram.htm

You could also search for "uneven bobbin winding" and then the name of your machine.

As a side note, I wound a bobbin for my Junker & Ruh on a Sidewinder. This isn't the best picture as it doesn't show that the opening for the thread is only about 1/8" wide.

p1160527_bobbin-compressed.jpg

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)

Old 08-07-2020, 07:31 AM

One thing I discovered on some bobbins they don't have the cut out area that aligns a bobbin to the bobbin winder and that will cause a mess. The wrong size bobbin will also do that . The bobbin may look like it is the right size but it may not be. These are problems I have run into a few times. I will usually wind a hundred bobbins at a time and out of that 100 or so I will occasionally find one or two failures. I then toss those bobbins. I do use a good number of pre-wounds too.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:00 AM

OurWorkbench is always so good with the machines! Another good point by Juliasb, some machines require a hole in the bobbin at a certain place, you can still get it going but not quite placed correctly with the smooth side.

I've had issues with my Sidewinder loading the bobbins in a V shape, in my case that was when the batteries were low, I just did an extra direction of the thread with my finger at first -- now I replace/recharge the batteries more often. The Brother just made a loose rat's nest of tangled up handfuls of thread before it gave up and considered it full.

The same friend with the long arm had two higher end Brothers, one an embroidery machine. The bobbins looked so alike but were just very slightly different and while both fit both machines, the wrong ones did give fits to the wrong machines. Her life became better when she threw out all her old bobbins and bought new ones, marking one of the machines with permanent markers.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

Be sure the thread is feeding to the bobbin winding with the right tension. Prewounds save money in the long run. More thread per bobbin and wound perfectly.

Last edited by Onebyone; 08-07-2020 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:26 PM

Do you have the correct bobbin for your machine? It's easy to get them mixed-up with multiple machines.

Do you need to wrap the thread around a post in a criss-cross manner? I miss that part sometimes.

Picture to follow.
Attached Thumbnails img_1236.jpg  

Last edited by Rhonda K; 08-07-2020 at 12:43 PM. Reason: to add picture
Old 08-07-2020, 02:53 PM
Power Poster

Mine have a screw on the side by the bobbin that is used to make the thread wind evenly. I have never had to do anything with it.
Old 08-08-2020, 03:28 AM

I do have 2 screws close to bobbin winder, I would guess one is for filling the bobbin, haven’t tried changing either one.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:29 AM

There should be a tension to engage somewhere between you spool of thread and the bobbin. Make sure the thread is engaging that tension before you start winding the bobbin.