Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bobbin Thread showing >

Bobbin Thread showing

Bobbin Thread showing

Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 PM

Default Bobbin Thread showing

I have been practing away on my Queen Quilter 18 the past few days and trying many different kinds of threads and keeping having the same issue arise no matter what I do.....in the bottom of the stitch where the knot should be it keeps showing the bobbin thread just slightly on the top of my quilts. I have adjusted the top tension numerous times even a whole turn at a time and it still does not seem to help the issue. Then at times it will it not be an issue but maybe for a couple of inches or so them right back to showing the bobbin thread. Any one have any suggestions???
Old 11-08-2011, 11:16 PM

put your machine in neutral...that point in the lever arm where the thread flows freely... now hold the two threads together and pull out about 12 inches and then release the tension but do not let go of the threads. when relaxed, you will see if the threads are even in tension, the top is shorter or the bottom is shorter... if your bottom thread is longer, which sounds likely, take the bobbin case out of the machine...hold the bobbin by it's thread only and see how quickly the bobbin case (with bobbin inside) falls downward... it should slowly move downward without you doing anything, no shaking or prompting. if it falls freely and fast, (also likely) then you need to tighten the tiny screw right at the base of the hook that sticks out on the bobbin case. i never do more than a 1/4 turn, even if it is just completely loose. tiny adjustments on bobbin case, always. now sew again and keep trying to get top and bottom balanced... If the bobbin moves smoothly and slowly downward, then adjust your top tension to a lower number... test frequently with the test on the top line...

ps...please make sure your bobbin is threaded properly before making any adjustments, don't rely on memory, get your book out, some go left, some go right...you must check this one time since your attempts were not helping.

Last edited by deemail; 11-08-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:37 AM

Thanks for info. I have always had issues with knowing about correct tension
Old 11-09-2011, 06:03 AM

that is great info
Old 11-09-2011, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Great information, also make sure upper thread is in tension disc. good had a problem like this on my viking 18x8.