Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: bobbin winder. Is it worth it?

I have one and it's okay -- I'm not all that thrilled about it but it does an okay job.

Senior Member carolstickelmaier's Avatar
    If you have a Viking (like me) I was told not to use it. It does not work with the Viking machines. I PIF'd it to someone who could use it. Good Luck.

I do not have one nor do I want one. I just do not see any benefit. I generally wind two, or three, bobbins before I begin a project. I have also heard they do not work well with Viking machines and that is what I have. And, on my machine I do not have to unthread to wind a bobbin, anyway.
    Last edited by Pam B; 12-29-2011 at 06:14 PM.

I love mine it works well have never had a problem with it and I also hate taking the thread apart on the machine all the time. Good luck. Sue

NO! I usually just prewind a bunch of bobbins before I start on a project.

I do, however, have a bobbin winder with a foot pedal to regulate the speed ... it is for my LA but will work on my regular sewing machine bobbins also. I prefer it much more than I'd ever like a Sidewinder. Got it from a LA dealer/LQS.

Though ... I tend to be overly frugal. [OK ... cheap.]

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I guess I'm just too cheap to buy one. Before I start a project I just wind 8-10 bobbins ahead of time and when they start getting low I wind more. Just takes a few minutes and gives me break from sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by lenette View Post
    I don't have to unthread my viking to fill the bobbin. The sidewinders I've seen didn't work with Vikings anyway. Maybe they were the original.
    Goog point. I don't have to unthread my janome to fill the bobbin either....so it probably wouldn't work with janome bobbins either.
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

I have 2 winders from K craft and I love them.

Blog Entries
    I didnt like mine until I discovered that it worked best with the weight of batteries whether you use the batteries or not. They are too lightweight without the batteries

Blog Entries
    I recently gave a sewing machine to a friend, and the bobbin winder on it did not work, so I also gave her one of the bobbin winders to go with it. I think it is working okay for her. At least she hasn't said it wasn't working.

I like mine. Even better is I convince my (retired) husband to wind me a bunch of bobbins when I get them empty.

Blog Entries
    My machine winds the bobbin independently from the sewing mechanism, so I don't need one.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Mine sits in its box...

Thumbs up.

Sue in OH

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have one that works great. I've used it probably 8 times. If you pay for shipping, I'll gladly send it to you for free. My new machine has it's own great bobbin winding system.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I too have wondered what others thought about these. I would buy one, but I have a Viking and they won't work with my bobbins.

Blog Entries
    Hey all you Viking owners the pink bobbin winder works with the green bobbins. You have to put the bobbin on upside down for the thread to wind in the correct direction but it works great. It is a snug fit so you get a good fill. I too didn't see the purpose of one until my winder on my machine broke and after spending over a hundred dollars to get it fixed it didn't tension wind properly. Pink winder to the rescue and now I love it.

Glad to hear so many success stories on this. I got one a few years ago (Simplicity from JoAnns) & could not return it fast enough. Vibrated all over the place and sloppy winding too. Maybe they have improved...or its operator error :-) Regina

Quote Originally Posted by erstan947 View Post
    I have one and it fits 3 different bobbins that I have. It saves time for me. I love it!
    Which brand/model do you have. Will it wind a Featherweight bobbin? This would save a lot of wear on my machines.

Junior Member thevintageseamstress's Avatar
    Use mine all the time for all my machines which include Singer 15 and 66, 99's 201 and all the vintage singers. I also use it for the Janome and newer Singer and Brother I have. LOVE THE THING!
    Did you say you dropped the pie!

For FMQ I am using prewound bobbins from Fil-tec. (bobbin central.com) For me, winding bobbins is just not FUN. I am so impatient to do my FMQ!

What brand/model? There's a bunch out there and I don't want to get something that is useless cause I don't get to go intown shopping often.

Quote Originally Posted by pennylynne View Post
    Hey all you Viking owners the pink bobbin winder works with the green bobbins. You have to put the bobbin on upside down for the thread to wind in the correct direction but it works great. It is a snug fit so you get a good fill. I too didn't see the purpose of one until my winder on my machine broke and after spending over a hundred dollars to get it fixed it didn't tension wind properly. Pink winder to the rescue and now I love it.
    Yes, this is what I do too. Pink winder and upside down.

Another reason I like the winder is winding the bobbin thread for machine embroidery. It is so thin and when you go too fast on your machine, it creates heat which warpes the plastic bobbin and you cannot get it off the machine. That is not a problem is your bobbin is metal. With the sidewinder, I don't have this problem.

When I had this happen the first time, I took my machine to a dealer to find out why, when it happened again, I switched to the sidewinder.

Jean
    Jean in MI

Although I'm a gadget lover, this one doesn't do a thing for me. Instead, buy extra bobbins and fill a bunch all at once. I usually have several in taupe, plus a few in black, grey, white and cream.

I love using mine as my machine has decided it doesn't like to wind bobbins. I do put my finger lightly on the bobbin as it is winding and I get a lot more thread on it that way. They work just fine in my old Pfaff.
    Esther

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast