Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
To Boldly Go-Maybe-Where No Quilter Has Gone Before? >

To Boldly Go-Maybe-Where No Quilter Has Gone Before?

To Boldly Go-Maybe-Where No Quilter Has Gone Before?

Old 12-10-2017, 05:29 PM
Power Poster

I'm glad you found a combination that keeps you warm.

When I was a kid, I slept under lots of heavy quilts and blankets. Now a goose down comforter - while light weight - just doesn't seem to be "enough" for proper sleeping.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:33 PM

Go for it. Love those utility quilts as them are special. I still have not made a Sunday Best quilt, but have bought the pattern.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 PM

Love the utility quilt & Star Trek would be great. Please show us when finished. Is there a new show? I keep watching the reruns.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:20 PM

Looking Good. I only make quilts to be used too. My climate is mild, but I do like a couple of quilts on my bed as it reminds me of my childhood and sleeping at grandma's. She would tuck me between two flannel sheets with a "feather tick" on top of them, followed by the "horse blankets". They were heavy wool quilts pieced together in large blocks on both sides and wool in the middle for batting. They used them to keep the horses warm in the winter months. BUT no more horses, so they were washed and used for Human bedding. I could barely move under all that weight as a small kid, but I sure like it now.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:36 AM

Yes there is and it is really good. We watch it through the Roku so not sure about the where and when, the first season is complete and it is on a break right now
Originally Posted by ctrysass2012 View Post
Love the utility quilt & Star Trek would be great. Please show us when finished. Is there a new show? I keep watching the reruns.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:08 PM

Thanks for all the attention that this thread is generating. I really look forward in completing my “Star Trek” quilt
Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Number One, Make it Sew

Yes, I am really in the mists of planning stage right now. As I suspected earlier, there are many Star Trek themed quilts already gracing beds, walls and Hope Chests across the globe right now without me adding another one. All one has to do is type “Star Trek Quilts in any search engine and you will have many, many examples dance in front of you on your screen.
Originally Posted by rainbowzebra View Post
Every week I find something else the quilters on this board have that connects us more and more. Never in a million years would I have thought it would be Star Trek. You rock ladies. Just about all of my special likes are here on this board. I was so disappointed that the new Star Trek is on access tv, because I can't get it out here in the boonies. Oh well I do have this board. BTW your quilts are great.

That does not stop me in the least. This particular one seems to require some pre-planning and research in order to create a special unique one So here is a included timeline of the 21st century for the Star Trek Universe. I am letting this history guide me in my final design and product.
2020s
[HR][/HR]“........During the decade of the 2020s, the Earth continent of Europe sees unrest among students after the "Neo-Trotskyists" unseat the "Gaullists" from power. The unrest ceases tourism towards France. Meanwhile, Ireland is unified after over a century of violence.
By that decade, the American government have created special Sanctuary Districts in most major cities to cope with poverty and unemployment, which eventually degenerate into inhumane internment camps. The Bell Riots of the mid-decade are one of the most violent civil disturbances in all of American history, resulting in the deaths of hundreds of Sanctuary District residents.
World War III follows shortly after.
This decade also sees widespread use of the Internet and the interface. The issue of genetic engineering and Human genome enhancement was brought back, and was one of the reasons of WW III.
2030s
[HR][/HR]During the decade of the 2030s, World War III continues to rage on Earth. The American flag is updated to have fifty-two stars.
2050s
[HR][/HR]During the decade of the 2050s, World War III ends on Earth, after cities, governments, and hundreds of millions of human lives are lost……..”
-http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/21st_century
2060s
[HR][/HR]2063: “........In April, Zefram Cochrane makes his first warp flight with assistance from the crew of the USS Enterprise-E, and despite Borg interference. A Vulcan ship passing through the solar system detected this warp flight, and decided to visit Earth - making first official contact with humanity………….”
-http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/21st_century

Depressing? No question of that! My own quilt will have elements of basic use and survival woven in it. But at the same time, hope and beauty as well.
Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
OK, can you see Riker at a sewing machine now? A treadle machine at that!!

Perhaps in far and near future, there will always be a special place for quiltmaking. I like to think so!

Last edited by Iona D.; 12-13-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Kassaundra View Post
Number One, Make it Sew
Too cute! brought a smile to my face.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Finally, this quilt is coming together! I located the colors and type (100% cotton flannel) to begin to complete it. The soft buttercream yellow is not an exact color that I was looking for, but it's still close enough to the gold uniforms of Star Trek.
Attached Thumbnails star-trek-border-fabric.jpg  

Last edited by Iona D.; 02-11-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:00 PM

The final fabric is not located as of this writing. Since it's a lining mostly hidden from view, I could use a print. Here is a idea for the backing using Joann's Snuggle Flannel prints. So I think it will work very well with the top fabrics. The soft dove grey with an equally non garish pattern won't distract or overwhelm the intended mood of the quilt's theme.

In a way, I will be sad to complete this as this will be the last needed quilt. I have no more need for a quilt and my storage box is full to the top. I will be doing mini quilts and blocks until the need arises again-a very long time form now!
Attached Thumbnails cotton-flannel-back-dove-grey8.jpg  
Old 02-12-2018, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by letawellman View Post
OK, can you see Riker at a sewing machine now? A treadle machine at that!!
Or Worf...

Rob