Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
BOM... Prices >

BOM... Prices

BOM... Prices

Old 09-03-2016, 04:08 PM

Default BOM... Prices

I have fallen for a gorgeous BOM, I've never stitched a purchased BOM before. I'm not sure how pricey is pricey! LOL
The price range on this BOM depending on the option I choose is $31/$41 per month for 10 months. Everything is included except the backing.. ALL patterns, instructions, fabrics and embellishments...Is that about what the BOM's cost??
Thank you so much for enlightening me.
Old 09-03-2016, 04:36 PM

I have seen them anywhere from 25 to 50 plus shipping depending on the type of project. Sometimes it is cheaper to check if you can just buy the kit
Old 09-03-2016, 07:12 PM

Dolphyngyrl.. thank you so much for your reply! The cost does include s/h and no kit is available.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:48 AM

Which BOM is it? Lots of materials and kitting (labor) goes into these...love it? DO IT!

sandy
Old 09-04-2016, 04:49 AM

I've always worried about pre-cuts of any type and the prices for BOM are a bit more than I want to pay out most times. I finally decided to join a BOM at one of my local fabric stores though as it seemed to be a great deal. Paid the registration fee of I think it was $19 which included the pattern sheets and the 1st month's fabrics (all batiks). She is good about giving us enough in case we wanted to starch and press our little pieces before cutting into them. She also offered a collection of each fabric in the quilt, fat quarter size for a decent price in case we miscut..........God forbid.......but it does happen.........ask me how I know. Then came the "finishing set" which went towards the pieced sashing, border, binding and large center block for $150. Now if we showed up at each class with the previous block finished we got the next month's block fabrics free. Now that sounds like a great deal to me. When I averaged the amount of fabrics needed for this quilt....105 x 105, all batiks I felt I got a great deal at about $10/yd for batiks. Of course its rare to find a batik backing larger than 108" so we went with one of the fabrics in the quilt and I haven't heard what that price will be.................gulping as I write this. I'd been looking for a backing that would look great with this quilt/fabrics and just couldn't find one to my liking so went with the 42"/yd fabrics. I've learned a few things in this class but mostly just joined to be among other quilters as I haven't found too many in my little town.
Old 09-04-2016, 05:24 AM

BOMs can range in price all over. Some companies are much more helpful than others. For example, Homestead Hearth labels each piece of fabric. This is nice because it is easy to mistake a fabric and cut the wrong one. Some patterns are better than others. One poor shop had one error after another. Finally the next year they made us buy a professional pattern and gave us one month at a time. Worked much smoother.

Be careful with your experience level when choosing a BOM. There are many different techniques and they are not usually set up to help those who don't already know how to do a technique. This does not apply if there is a local shop doing a BOM because you can talk to them and maybe get a lesson. But if you don't know something like applique, a BOM is an expensive way to start.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:23 AM

Honestly the only ones I have made are more mystery quilts or online BOMs where it is just the pattern/directions where they give one clue/block per month and I've only done free ones. I just can't justify the cost of a true BOM. Not with the stash I already have -- and can't really afford to pay someone else to do part of the work! (but I don't send quilts out either...I pretty much do everything start to finish)
Old 09-04-2016, 08:38 AM

When I first began quilting, JAF was my place to go along with LQS. Then, JAF had more "legit" sales, clearances than it seems to now. Anyway, there always, as now, was a BOM, priced reasonably, but in the clearance section the last season BOMs were always half price.......for several years I managed to find the entire kits (12 blocks, sashing so borders, binding)from the JAF that I shopped....and because each were sampler types....it was a great way to try different designs. The pieces were, and still are precut, but I never had a problem...the pieces were precise and the quilts (4) all are still used.........in the interim, I have gathered 4 other JAF BOM, waiting for me to do. Over the last 2/3yrs though I have not seen any in the "clearance" section....so I guess my JAF BOMs saga is over.....I, personally, cannot justify $25-35 per month....but that's just me.....
Old 09-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Power Poster

I agree that the hardest part about making a BOM quilt is finding all of the fabrics needed to do the blocks and have a cohesive finished product. I have bought the kits and also the after market patterns for the whole quilt. I think it depends on the BOM really, if you can get the results you want without having to buy the kit, that is wonderful. I guess I am not a heavy spender when it comes to quilting. It is already expensive enough with a purchased pattern, threads, the fabrics, batting and backings. But, I suppose if something absolutely flipped my skirt, I would bite the bullet and buy it.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 09-04-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 04:09 PM

Thank you everyone for your very thoughtful answers!