BOM Question >

BOM Question

BOM Question

Old 03-08-2022, 12:39 PM
Banned

Default BOM Question

I’ve never done a BOM before, but am looking at doing this one:
https://stitchinheaven.com/products/...2-registration

There’s a Facebook group to go along with it, but I’m not on FB. Do those groups help a lot?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2022, 01:21 PM

That's a beautiful quilt. I have only done free BOM's that I provide the fabric for, so I am no help as far as the FB question. That particular quilt is what I would call an "advanced" pattern. Wish it didn't cost so much to do the BOM. I might consider it.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:47 PM

I have only done 1 BOM, it had no group, but I would imagine the LQS that I purchased it through would have been a resource had I needed help. I found the cost very very expensive 28.00 per month for 12 months and the fabric was cut with no room for error! After that I only buy a BOM if they offer it as a entire kit, or I will purchase the pattern and find my own fabrics. I don’t do Facebook or other Social Media as it’s not my cup of tea. I think like any group, you will find the range of participants to be from beginners to expert and you may or may not get anything out of it depending on your own quilting skillset.
On the other hand, I find the Annual Bonnie Hunter Mystery QAL’s here to be very helpful and inspirational.
Old 03-08-2022, 01:53 PM

Beautiful quilt. Since it is a kit, I would probably join FB just to see if it's helpful. If it's not, delete the account.
Old 03-09-2022, 04:36 AM

I am doing Angela Walters Build a Quilt BOM, and I am on the Facebook group.

Mostly, it’s just folks posting pics of their finished blocks each month which is fun, but not necessarily helpful per se.

Occasionally, someone will vary a block a bit, and it’s interesting to see what they’ve done.

This month, there was some confusion in one of the instructions for the block, and a discussion on the group was very useful in clarifying what was supposed to be done.

So bottom line, it’s not terribly useful until it is!!!!
Old 03-09-2022, 06:54 AM

That would be a beautiful quilt, but the cost is very high. Would use my own fabric if possible.
Old 03-09-2022, 09:17 AM

A Facebook group gives a sense of community and a place to ask questions. I would say, not necessary, but adds to the fun.
Old 03-09-2022, 01:34 PM
Power Poster

I agree with joe's mom on this. Maybe you could just get a FB account and then when it's over delete it.