Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt >

Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt

Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt

Old 10-07-2014, 08:13 PM

I have done Bonnies last 5 mystery quilts and have never been disappointed in them. I love them. I even got some of the ladies in our sewing group to do her Celtic Solstice quilt from last year. They really loved the outcome.
PATIENTLY WAITING FOR THIS YEARS QUILT TO START.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:00 PM

Yep, anxiously awaiting the October 15 reveal of the fabrics and colors needed for this quilt. I have done the last 4 mystery quilts, and I always follow the colors that Bonnie uses. I do not feel comfortable changing the colors, even though I have not been fond of some of the colors that Bonnie uses. However, when they are done, they turn out beautiful. The first "clue" will be November 28, and she will give us another clue every Friday until the reveal around January 1st. She will post the information on her blog:

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/

You do not need to "sign up", just log into her blog every week and follow along. There is always a group of us here on the QB that chat and show our progress every week too. It is great fun!
Old 10-08-2014, 04:26 AM

Wolf, Jeanie: I think its amazing that you guys have finished so many of her quilts. I did the Orca and CS and am now firmly hooked. Would love to see pictures of yours. Jeanie: Never say never but I agree with you about the colors. Her quilts are so complex its hard to visualize where the darks, meds and lights are going to go. Although there have been some truly beautiful color variations. Well another adventure soon to start, I can hardly wait. WHEN one of us starts a thread to chart our progress lets refer to it on this thread so people know where it is, read I know where it is.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:21 AM

I'll be participating this year too. My first Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt was last years and I love it. But, oh my, those chevron units -I still remember those,. Looking forward to the color choices. I am betting there is red. I started watching what she had been working on this summer on her own 'retreats' and caught a few red four square patches before she went colorless photos!!! Anyway, it is a guess and shows my enthusiasm for the upcoming project.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by bkb7957 View Post
Hello Nilla, I hear a lot of talk about Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Quilts. And I have heard of mystery quilts before. But have never done one because I don't know what a mystery quilt is or how to get started on one. Can you or any of the other board members help me understand what this mystery quilt thing is all about please.
The most difficult part of a mystery quilt, as far as I am concerned, is choosing the fabric. Since you don't know what it's going to look like when it is finished, choosing the appropriate fabric can be very hard.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:36 AM

Oh goodie! It's always more exciting when others are also excited. I changed my colors last year and I love the look, but it really is a leap of faith since you don't know the pattern in advance. I'm thinking of using blacks in place of neutrals this year just because. We'll see. I figure as long as my colors coordinate it can't be too bad looking and I quilt for fun anyway, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the process. I can't wait to see what she came up with!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

I use the Go to cut all the pieces. That sure makes it easier and all the pieces match up perfectly. Bonnie is consistent in sizes for all her block pieces. Here is a chart of all the sizes she uses. http://quiltville.com/pdf/FreePatternsbyStripSize.pdf
Old 10-08-2014, 08:01 AM

I will be joining the fun again too! I only have borders to add to my CS..and that puppy will be MINE! lol (I agree on the chevron units! MEH! I really had to slog thru those, but when they were done, they belonged to ME! I am not usually this selfish! lol) I have a busy fall, but I will love tucking units into my days! Let the stash diving begin (soon!)
Old 10-08-2014, 10:09 AM

We can start a new thread with the name of the quilt once Bonnie announces it on Oct. 15. We will not be in town or have a good internet connection on the 15th, as we will be camping with our camping group. So someone please start the new thread! I am still quilting (in sections) Celtic Solstice, but I'll post a photo below of the flimsy. The other quilts are Orca Bay, Easy Street and Roll Roll Cotton Boll.

Winia - Bonnie will give us the colors of the Mystery Quilt and paint chip numbers as well. That way you can match your colors to the paint chips. You will "know" the quilt will be beautiful if they match Bonnie's colors!
Attached Thumbnails img_0104.jpg   img_0092.jpg   easy-street-flimsy.jpg   rrcb.jpg  

Last edited by JeanieG; 10-08-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:15 PM

Jeanie: Just beautiful! What a body of work. Thanks for sharing.