Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bonnie Hunter Mystery's >

Bonnie Hunter Mystery's

Bonnie Hunter Mystery's

Old 03-28-2018, 11:01 AM

Default Bonnie Hunter Mystery's

Has anyone made one of Bonnie's mystery quilts and using colors other than what she suggests?

If you did, did you just go rummaging through your stash until you found something you liked, or did you do the paint chip card thing?

I saw a picture of the On Ringo Lake done by someone in colors other than suggested and it was Amazing. Now I want to make it in the colors that quilter used, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what one of the colors is - looks like it might be grey.

I'd love to see pictures of any of her quilts you have done, and if you used the paint chip cards, those too.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-28-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
Old 03-28-2018, 11:30 AM

For the past few years, we've had a group here on the Quilt Board doing the mystery together, in the Quiltboard Challenges and Contests section. This year's 'On Ringo Lake' thread is still up, and I think last year's 'En Provence' thread might still be up. If you look through those, you will see some of the alternate color choices members here made.

I always intend to try alternate colors from my stash for the mystery, but so far I've been won over by the romance of Bonnie's theme descriptions and have ended up sticking to her colors. Do you have a link to the ORL quilt that caught your interest?
Old 03-28-2018, 11:54 AM

You also find a lot of color variations on Pinterest.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
You also find a lot of color variations on Pinterest.
I was just going to suggest the same thing. There are so many Bonnie Hunter MQ pictures and inspiration on Pinterest!
Old 03-28-2018, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by NZquilter View Post
I was just going to suggest the same thing. There are so many Bonnie Hunter MQ pictures and inspiration on Pinterest!
Yes. I find so many variations and wish I’d have thought of that color combination.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:49 AM

For all of Bonnie's mysteries I wait and see how others make theirs and then I go ahead and jump in. I save pics of the quilts that sing to me and usually they're in other color combos than what was called for. I'm working on her Allietaire right now and I'm doing it in her colors but I'm also adding a little something to it to enlarge it for my sister. I just used what I had in my scraps plus the grey yardage required.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:58 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I did Alletierre and En Provence in Bonnie’s colors. I did On Ringo Lake in my own.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:21 PM

I have done the last 3 in my own colors.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:48 PM
Gay

here is a link to some posted ORL pics. This is the next-to-last page so just click on the previous pages to see more.
Maybe the one you saw will be there and you can contact the maker.

On Ringo Lake -- Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt 2017-18
Old 03-29-2018, 06:12 PM

I haven't done one of her mysteries but I lurked on the ORL while it was going. The group creative some extraordinary quilt tops. All so diverse in color and, ultimately, many their own spin on the design. I was exhausted watching the process. Lol! Her mysteries are like a full-time job.