Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bonnie Hunter's String Fling >

Bonnie Hunter's String Fling

Bonnie Hunter's String Fling

Old 04-06-2013, 07:05 AM

I have had an easy angle ruler for a long time...just sitting in with my collection of rulers. Took a class last fall that the ruler was on our supply sheet to bring to class. So I finally used it, and do like how the 7/8" is eliminated from the cutting. Quarter inch seam is so important...a scant quarter really. Take time to figure out how to do the scant quarter with your machine by cutting strips, sewing together and pressing and then measuring (3~1-1/2" strips sewn together, the middle strip should measure exactly 1" after sewing and pressing.)
Old 04-06-2013, 08:15 AM

See this
http://quiltville.blogspot.fi/2013/0...ty-rulers.html
Old 04-06-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
hevemi and sewplease: do you need to trim up the half-square triangle after it's sewn?
http://quiltville.blogspot.fi/2013/0...lty-rulers.htm
IF your seam allowance is right your HSTs should be eaxtly right size. Read -and print for reference her PDF article/tutorial above!
Old 04-07-2013, 04:12 AM

Thanks for the tips! I'll go to the site and print as you suggest.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:14 PM

I usually will check my HSTs every so often and sometimes sliver trim. When I look at what I trimmed off, I usually think why did I bother? :-) Just practice with a few and check the size until your seam allowance is OK. I find when I'm off a bit, it's usually because my strips were not cut consistently. Bonnie has made me more aware of where the lines on the ruler are vs the edge of the fabric when I cut strips.

Using the Easy Angle is kind of liberating in my opinion....

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
hevemi and sewplease: do you need to trim up the half-square triangle after it's sewn?
Old 04-08-2013, 03:53 PM

You have to remember what Bonnie's style is - scrappy - and combine that with her "scrap user's system." For the most part, she's not cutting strips when she's making a quilt. She's already got those strips cut, having them cut into the most commonly used sizes.

Thus, she's got lots of strips (2 and 2-1/2") that, using the Easy Angle, give the size hst's she often uses. It isn't the ONLY method she uses - she's also got a link on her website for a free printed sheet of hst's. Inklingo, maybe?

I've done lots of her quilts, and sometimes use the EA, sometimes not, depending on what I'm cutting from. I will say that, having the strips right sides together, cutting carefully, sewing carefully, you'll get a perfect hst. Do a few first, to make sure you are using it properly. Also check that 1/4" seam... They are often off just a smidge. Someplace in her tutorials or on her blog, she addresses how to check that and adjust if necessary.

Personally, I don't know of any other designer who does so much for free! You could easily spend hours on her website - then a few more on her blog, which will lead you to her quiltcam (or archives of them that have recently started being put on Youtube)... You get the idea, lol.

http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/videos.html