Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bonus Little Girls Dress- All Done! Thanks everyone for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth A.

Somewhere someone commented, "if you're a quilter a 5/8" seam allowance looks huge" and that's 100% true!
    I bet that is true and from the other perspective-when you start as a seamstress-the quarter inch looks so TINY. I had to keep telling myself it was enough, and it will hold! LOL

Sounds like you have enough tips to be able to put it together. If it gets too awful for you, stick it in a envelope and send it here! I'd be willing to finish it up for you. :D

The pattern looks pretty simple. The collar would need to be lined with interfacing. I would suggest a facing for the neckline. I don't see the facing pattern pieces. A zipper down the back would be my suggestion. A slip underneath would omit the lining. Good luck with the dress. It could be VERY cute!

Susan

If you send it to me I'll make it for you! ...I havent made many little girls dresses since my grankids grew up!

Karen xx

Thanks everyone. I didn't have any trouble with the collar at all, I just cut a second peice of everything but the sleeves out of my white muslin. I took the collar and sewed one face and one muslin piece wrong sides together and it lined up with the neckline beautifully. I've been having some trouble getting all the pieces that have to be sewed together all once for the neckline. (the collar the lining and the front). Some of my daughters dresses where made with lining which I sort of remember from when I cut them apart to make her quilt.

I have the front part sewed, but I didn't know that I should have the back ready, so I'm ripping a little.

Thanks for the offer Barb I'll get that off to you in a minute.

Well Loretta here's where I am now. below I have attached photos of the bodice which I was able to get through thanks to all the wonderful comments above.

Now for the sleeves. ACK! :D

As you can see from the photo graphs I have one pattern cut. It clearly needs to be gathered a bit.

The way I learned to run a gather is to stitch pull a long bit of bobbin thread up to the top, and then zigzag over the bobbin thread. Pull the bobbin thread a little viola. How far in do I need to do that on the sleeve? 5/8"? Or in a bit?

And I don't know what to do about the bottom of the sleeve either. You can see in the photos that it curves on the bottom, so perhaps it's not suppose to be... AWhh, I don't know how it goes!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last photo. Not sure it helps, but I wanted you all to see what I've got.

You can see in this photo the required gather as the center point of the sleeve doesn't line up with the top sholder point of the dress.

Sorry if my terms aren't "correct". I don't know any better... :D

My opinion is after you gather the top of the sleeve to fit the opening and get it sewed in you will need to also gather the botton, Usually some bias binding was used to cover the edge. I don't know for sure but used to wear those dresses when I was little.

Here are a few pictues of the sleeve from my dresses. Hope you can see what I mean.

I do thank you. I'll have to see how big it puffs it with the gather, because the fabric actually curves the other way. Maybe that's to even it out after the puff?

Blog Entries
    :D

For the sleeve, do a long basting stitch, 1/4" away from edge, either by hand or machine. This sleeve looks real full, like it might be a gatherred puffy sleeve. Soooo, start your basting just past your notches, then, pull in the gathers. Start pinning the sleeve in, start with the edge of the sleeve against the side seam, and pin, then pin other edge to other side seam, and pin, then put a pin at the beginning of each side of the gathering. Now pull your gathering all nice and snug and even, and just begin pinning the gathers along, so it is all nice and gathered even. Then stitch your 5/8" seam. Then trim your seam. Now, you will be able to tell by holding the dress up, if the bottom of the sleeve is just meant to have a hem, or if it is nice and full. If it is nice and full you have couple options. You can run a gathering stitch, and put a nice piece of bias binding around the edge, like in the above photos, or you can use elastic. Then next you can sew your underarm and side seam all at once.

Thank you everyone who helped me! I learned so much putting this dress together.

The sleeves are poofy and ended up being straight at the bottom. Instead of hemming it I used some satin ribbon which I feel gives it a just a little touch of "extra". Perhaps they come down longer than was intended, but I didn't line them so it looks darling.

When the sleeves where on and the sides were sewn I went looking for matching buttons, and found snaps! So there are five snaps that run down the back every 3.25" or so. Snaps were the easiest for me when dd was little. I even put them in blind so you can't see them from the back.

While I think dd might be able to wear this backwards as a shirt, I think it is best left saved until the right moment comes along and passed along then. I wonder who will end up liking it?

That is so cute and you did a wonderful job.

That turnd out really nice. I'm sure some young lady will be thrilled to get it.

Elizabeth--You did an awesome job!!! Pat yourself on the back. That little dress turned out just precious.

Thanks ladies, I couldn't have done it with all the help and advice. I feel like the dress deserved to be made after who only knows how long. It makes me wonder about the little girl it was made for, or at least started for.

You did a great job !!

Oh that is so gorgeous, and most of all you tried something you've never done and you did it! Good for you! :)

Great job!
    Such a cute dress!

I admire you for making this cute little dress! I am hopeless when it comes to sewing garments - even WITH the directions! LOL Great job!

You did a great job! I think more dresses are in your future! I'm in awe that you figured it all out without a pattern. Such talent (and kindness) here on our board!

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    I have sewed lots of "Marsh Brady" clothes. They were easy for me. What I don't see here ... the (mind burp.. forgot the name ) .. there is always a piece to "line" the neck line. The short sleeves look to be puffed style. It sort of made me shiver about the idea it woudl be in a garage sale. To have cut all that out and not finish it.. So sad.

I made my son's camp style shirts ( 12 month to 18 month). The button's always need enough room to overlap. button holes are so easy with a machine that does the work for you.

Days gone by for sewing clothes.. quilts are so much more rewarding. :)
    Happy day!
    Ellen

My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA
    Blog Entries
    I scrolled a bit longer.. WOW ! you did it !!! Fun..! Do you have a little one to wear it??

Pretty dress, loved the way you used ribbon !

Great job!
    Ellen

Thanks, I can't even begin to express how helpful those pattern cuts were, so if you're ever cutting anything out, use them, you never know where that fabric might end up! :D

Yes Ellen, as you can see I did line it. The fabric, where you see the white lines between the flowers, is really dual rows of tiny little holes, and the entire thing was a bit "see thru", but unlike the person who started it I had plenty of white muslin leftover from a quilt (not so much left now, but hey what is fabric for other than to be used!).

I'm really glad it all came together. No, I don't have a little girl that size, but I'm certain someday a little girl will be found for this dress. Hey and who knows maybe it will be used in a quilt someday. ;)

The little dress turned out very nice! Good job at figuring it all out!

Susan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast