Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Boo Boo with binding.

I always cut my binding at 2". I'm sure it looks terrific!!!

RULES????? There's RULES???? Okay -- who called in the quilting police????????? If you have it done --- and it covers the seam line...LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! :) :)

Blog Entries
    Absolutely not. Quilting is an art and if you are happy with your design then no rules were broken.

I cut mine at 2" or 2 1/8" anyway. I like a thin, fine binding.

If it looks good, Leave It.

Hi Nancy,

I don't think you broke any rules, our tutor here in England always told us to cut 2" binding strips. We fold them in half, iron them then fold each half in half again and iron. We then stich from the front on the 1st 1/2" line , turn over to the back and hand stich the last 1/2" down . It works beautifully and looks neat !
    Try it , and good luck from Mad Gertie in Kent.

Blog Entries
    Let it go, I have dine that all ready and found out that sometime a narrow binding is very pretty. Just feel like that is the way you meant it to look.

Senior Member ORSunshineQuilter's Avatar
    So, hey, what are you afraid of? The Quilt Police? There ain't any! Seriously, that is what is known as a design decision! There are no booboos! Just design decisions! I am sure he will never know the difference and will love it! Just keep going!

Blog Entries
    I think my bindings are too big and don't lay flat. I want to try this size next time. But I must say I am loving the sewing right sides together and pulling threw and then stitching it closed. It works for small quilts and then I make sure I still pin really well and proceed to quilting it. No rules around here if it works for you. Right? :D

Rules? What rules ? LOL

If it looks ok leave it. I've actually done similar, on purpose, on small wall pieces. Makes like a facing rather than binding. But it works.

I usually cut my bindings at 2" to 2 1/8", using a 1/4" seam. I like a narrow binding and this also makes the binding full to the edge with the batting. I have never had a problem with the seam coming out because of it being only 1/4". In fact when I do a miniature quilt I cut the seam allowance on the binding down to 1/8" before I turn the binding to the back to hand stitch.

Lost my quilting rule book ...fired the quilting police...and now i have all the fun i can stand....hehehehehehe.....

No. If it is on it is on. Let it be a reminder next time to cut wider. I did that on my first log cabine andit did alright.

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    No rules...no quilt police....

Leave it, it's fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nancy42
    I just finished DS quilt for Christmas except for the binding.
    I inadvertantly cut the binding strips at 2" instead of 2 1/2 "
    I sewed it on from the front by machine and turned and pinned it to the back to hand sew down. It is narrow so all the binding is on back of quilt. It looks good that way actually but wasn't sure how many quilting rules I broke doing it this way. Should I take it off and start over with larger binding strips ?
    NOT HARDLY my friend. Where are the quilting police, did someone call them and have you arrested for this, lol. Don't even think about doing it over, especially if it looks good to you. Who cares about rules, if things work out o.k. Rules can be broken, and new ones discovered. Who said there are set rules for quilting anyway.

Not if it works.

Blog Entries
    It's called "Creativity"...you never know, someone may want to copy your beautiful binding technique someday!

Blog Entries
    It's called "Creativity"...you never know, someone may want to copy your beautiful binding technique someday!

Quote Originally Posted by nancy42
    I just finished DS quilt for Christmas except for the binding.
    I inadvertantly cut the binding strips at 2" instead of 2 1/2 "
    I sewed it on from the front by machine and turned and pinned it to the back to hand sew down. It is narrow so all the binding is on back of quilt. It looks good that way actually but wasn't sure how many quilting rules I broke doing it this way. Should I take it off and start over with larger binding strips ?
    You just created another "original" binding option...
    There are NO rules in my quilting book...at least none that can't be modified to fit the user. As long as it works...it's good! Good job. :thumbup:

I've used bindings as narrow 1 7/8" because I prefer the way it looks. What you like is what you should do. I got into quilting learning all the inviolable rules, but aging has changed that for me. Now if I like it, I let it be.

hey, if it looks good leave it alone

I just did this too. It was too tight and pulled the quilt out of shape. I removed it and replaced it with 2 1/2". Very glad I did! Now it looks normal. It was definitely not right the way it was. I have no regrets that I took the time to redo it.

I think it turned out very nice. I will post a picture on picture site of forum hopefully tomorrow. I'm anxious to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks everyone for all the great encouragement !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast