Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
book out of print what do I do >

book out of print what do I do

book out of print what do I do

Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

Thea Jirak has a shop here: http://www.quiltingdelights.com/about.html

You might be able to find the book through her.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Thea Jirak has a quilt shop: http://www.quiltingdelights.com/

and this lady has made the quilt. She may have the book to sell you. http://www.quilts2buy.com/mary-tibbe...us-quilts.html
Old 01-27-2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Originally Posted by MrsM
Can't you xerox it?
That would be an illegal copyright violation.
Even just for home use?
Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

Here's another picture, if that is the quilt you're interested in: http://www.milwaukiecenterquiltshow....geschoice.html

If this is the quilt, then why not create your own design? Use red, white, and blue in various older block designs, or find another color combination that also reflects the period. Find your own sayings for the embroidery, and design the quilt in a way that's uniquely your own. Putting together blocks and embroidered saying is not unique to this quilt, and was done by many quilters during the 1976 bicentennial. Everyone in your group can create a unique quilt. Or...just to make it more fun, you can have a block swap. Each of you can pick a few blocks and make enough for the whole group. Then you can put them together in your own distinct patterns. I think this would be more fun than copying a pattern in a book, and you would all have unique and personalized quilts.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Can't you xerox it?
Even just for home use?
Absolutely. Any copies of a pattern are a violation of copyright.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

When I buy a quilt book or magazine, I always scan the pattern I'm using from it and print it out or export it to EQ7. I may make several copies while I'm following the pattern as I usually spill, lose, or misplace a page or two. My all in one printer is one of my favorite quilting tools.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Is the lawsuit the reason the book is no longer available?
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM

We don't know exactly what happened a few years ago we contacted the number in the book and they told us they would be doing a reprint. Here it is three or maybe four years later and they have never reprinted the book. Part of the we is my LQS owner. Long story short she has lots and lots of the red white and blue Buggy Barn line coming that she know doesn't really need or have room for in the shop. We have all been brain storming patterns and kit ideas together. Many of us have been thinking of this pattern and that line of fabric would look fabulous in this pattern.
One of the gals has it and I did find one out there on the internet. The gal who has it has made the quilt so her book is available we will just have to share and make it work. Not the first time I have borrowed a friends quilt pattern and made it. When I return the pattern I give her a fat quarter. I have now made two quilts from patterns she has bought and she has made one from one of my patterns. Neither of us has made a quilt from the pattern we bought :)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Can't you xerox it?
I don't believe it's a copyright violation if you copy a single pattern from a book. The authors and publishers alike know that libraries may carry their book. After all many patterns require you to make copies to alter or enlarge them. It is against the law to then sell that pattern or use the pattern for anything other than making a project for your own use.

Although I see she says up there the entire book is the pattern, so in that case it probably would be illegal. LOL*** Although if it were my book I wouldn't tell.... ;) As long as you weren't going to sell it or mass produce it!

Good luck finding your book...my ideas were already suggested...Amazon or Ebay. There are a few bookswap sites online that you might be able to try too.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

The library staff here will copy any page from any of the books in the library but not from books privately owned.