Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Border grainline?

Border grainline?

I would love opinions/help on what grainline to cut borders for a throw quilt that will be 46"x60". Are they more stable on the lengthwise grain? Thanks!! Beth

Blog Entries
    assuming you don't have a right side up pattern, then my choice would be length of fabric... it does not stretch as much. if it works for the block cutting, i cut the border strips first, then the pieces for blocks
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

For me, it depends on what I have available and if the fabric is directional....I seem to have picked many directional fabrics for borders lately!

I prefer to use WOF for stability but if I have the correct amount of fabric from LOF for my borders, that is what I go with most times.

Power Poster
    Generally speaking, there is less stretch on the length of grain (parallel with the selvage) on woven fabrics than on the crosswise (width of fabric) grain.

I like using lengthwise cuts because there's less stretch and I find it easier to work with.
    Patrice S

Blog Entries
    If I have enough fabric, that's what I do too.

For quilts the size you have, I usually just cut strips WOF and piece them. For larger quilts, I use the lengthwise borders.

I use lengthwise grain for the side borders and crosswise grain for the top and bottom ones. When the quilt is complete, the border grain is going the same way all around. With many fabrics, especially solids which I use very often, the color looks different when viewed lengthwise vs crosswise.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Quote Originally Posted by tailormaid View Post
    I would love opinions/help on what grainline to cut borders for a throw quilt that will be 46"x60". Are they more stable on the lengthwise grain? Thanks!! Beth
    I prefer to cut my borders from the length of the fabric when I have enough yardage. Its not as stretchy that way.
    Sharon in Texas

I like LWG for the both direction of the border provided the pattern is not directional. If the fabric is directional I like to use it as the direction suggests. I prefer LWG strips for the vertical sides. I do not like to use all WOF strips because of the stretch. However, I recognize that there are several things to consider in making the choice.

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I use lengthwise grain for the side borders and crosswise grain for the top and bottom ones. When the quilt is complete, the border grain is going the same way all around. With many fabrics, especially solids which I use very often, the color looks different when viewed lengthwise vs crosswise.
    Forgot about that -

Also, some fabrics look different when looking top to bottom or bottom to top - such as velveteens and corduroys.

Some solid prints do that, too.

Blog Entries
    I do the same as most of those who have commented - if I have enough fabric and the pattern on the fabric allows it so there is no directional considerations, I prefer to cut borders lengthwise so that there are no seams - I feel that it is easy to work with and it appears to have greater stability/strength with one continuous "frame" for each side.
    Deb

I always cut my borders WOF. Never stretchy.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Yes, Beth, borders cut lengthwise of the grain are more stable (not as stretchy). I always cut my borders lengthwise of the grain. There is less stretch in the fabric lengthwise, and, provided the yardage is long enough, it eliminates piecing of the borders.
    Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 07-11-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: additional content