Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Border help/advice needed

Border help/advice needed

Hello! With some trial and error, I just finished piecing a quilt top that ended up square in size and smaller than planned due to my measurement errors. All was not lost, however, but my blocks ended up being 5 inches, rather than 5-1/2. I need the finished quilt to be rectangular to fit on my queen bed, rather than the current square size. The pattern is kinda fussy and I can't just add more rows of the completed blocks. I need some suggestions for borders to enlarge this quilt. An additional 14 inches (7 plus 7) on two sides, and 28 inches (14 plus 14) on the other sides would be great, to match the size of the quilt already on my bed, which I know fits. The odd size is throwing me off and I'm not "seeing" the finished product. Appreciate any and all help since I'm new at this! :-)
    Count your blessings; stitch them one by one.

Blog Entries
    Can you post a picture of what you have completed? Without a picture, I'm thinking I'd bands do of the quilt fabrics equal to 7" on each side of the quilt, then a one color or print 7" border all the way around. I would not use a plain fabric for the first add on (the two sides one). It will look like just - an add on. A pattern like stripes or something with HSTs or 4 patches will make it look more planned.

Yes, a picture is the only way to see what you have and comment on what might work to make it bigger.

Blog Entries
    I would like to see the picture of it before giving my 2 cents. I'll check back later.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

Picture attached

Let me know what you think...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Count your blessings; stitch them one by one.

Blog Entries
    If I understand..you want to add 14 to sides and 28 to length? I would do a narrow border of the darker blue all the way around then a border about 5 in on the short sides and pieced blocks and then another border to make it the length you need it.

Your misjudge on the block size, would not change a rectangle quilt into a square quilt.
    Instead, it would appear that you did not do all the blocks/rows that are needed.

You could add one more row to each side for a total of 10", then you just need 4" in borders.
    And for the ends, you could add 4 more rows, for 20" or ... 6 more rows for 30".

Looking at the pattern, these additions would not take from the pattern and would work fine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I love the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by New Creation View Post
    Hello! With some trial and error, I just finished piecing a quilt top that ended up square in size and smaller than planned due to my measurement errors. All was not lost, however, but my blocks ended up being 5 inches, rather than 5-1/2. I need the finished quilt to be rectangular to fit on my queen bed, rather than the current square size. The pattern is kinda fussy and I can't just add more rows of the completed blocks. I need some suggestions for borders to enlarge this quilt. An additional 14 inches (7 plus 7) on two sides, and 28 inches (14 plus 14) on the other sides would be great, to match the size of the quilt already on my bed, which I know fits. The odd size is throwing me off and I'm not "seeing" the finished product. Appreciate any and all help since I'm new at this! :-)

Having looked at your later photo, you pattern is not at all fussy. I'd add at least one row each end of the blocks and diamonds. That would reduce the addition necessary by a total of 10".
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    looking at your pattern, it does look like you have room to add more rows to enlarge your quilt without throwing off your design. as another option, i saw a comment to add an dark blue inner border and then you can add a row of blocks as another border before adding your outer border. the quilt looks like you have done a wonderful job on it. good luck with your finishing. it will be a beautiful quilt.

I would also do a 1" (cut the strips 1-1/2" wide) sashing/border in the darkest blue, then a 6" border (cut the strips 6-1/2" wide) for the side border and do an 8" border top and bottom (cut strips 8-1/2" wide) using the medium blue. If that's not wide enough...make the 1" border 2".
    Marge
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge