Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border Help using Y-seam >

Border Help using Y-seam

Border Help using Y-seam

Old 09-23-2019, 07:44 PM

Default Border Help using Y-seam

My Plan: I am making a wall hanging (28" by 28"). I want to finish it with two borders. The first border is only 1/2" finished, so I will add it to the top and bottom, then the sides. The second border is a striped material, and I would like to add it as a staggered border, 2" wide, where each side is (3/4 + 28 + 3/4 + 2 1/2) in length. The last seam would need a Y-seam to enclose the box.

What is this technique called? Does it matter which side I start on? Should it be added clockwise or counter-clockwise? Is my math for each border right? I'm looking for a tutorial or instructions to reinforce that my plan is do-able.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:54 PM
Power Poster

If you are planning to miter the outer border, some people sew the inner and outer borders together, and then treat it as one unit when attaching it to the main body of the quilt.

Try searching for "multiple borders with mitered corners" on youtube. There are several videos available on the subject.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:07 PM

I didn't want to miter the corners, I want each border to cover the wall hanging plus one side border (the first side would be a modified log cabin, and then continue adding the next side like you are creating a log cabin block). Hope this helps to explain.
Old 09-23-2019, 08:24 PM

I have reread your post several times and just can’t seem to figure out what it is you want to do. I’m really sorry perhaps if you could give us a picture or draw something that might indicate your desired design? Hopefully someone will get it right.
Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 PM

Is this what you're trying to do?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617736[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails addl-border.jpeg  
Old 09-24-2019, 03:48 AM

If you are doing as Peckish shows, that is a partial seam. Sew the yellow strip leaving a couple inches from the right side unsewn. Add the strips purple, blue and green. Then finish the yellow seam
Old 09-24-2019, 03:58 AM

Thanks Peckish and cjsews - that exactly what I want to do. Sorry for the poor description. Is there a name for this technique?
Old 09-24-2019, 06:12 AM

I believe it's a Y seam. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The same idea is used in these placemats halfway down the page.... https://quiltsocial.com/2-quilted-pl...ative-borders/

Watson
Old 09-24-2019, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

This seems to be a good description of this technique. I have found knowing how to do this to be very useful.

http://piecebynumber.com/partial-seam-technique/

Last edited by bearisgray; 09-24-2019 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
I believe it's a Y seam. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The same idea is used in these placemats halfway down the page.... https://quiltsocial.com/2-quilted-placemats-
using-modern-log-cabin-blocks-and-creative-borders/
Watson
These placemats do not have a Y-seam, but there is partial seaming. Peckish has the picture of what you discribe. It is called a partial seam, and I love doing them because of how the finished product looks. They are really easy once you get the hang of it. You have to add the new pieces "backwards". That is, you don't proceed going around the piece as you might normally do. You have to "back up" to the previous side to find a straight line onto which to sew the next piece.
When I sew the last piece on, the first piece is in my way. I fold it down, right sides together, then fold it back onto itself. Then the last corner is visible and easy to line up with the last piece.