Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border issue >

Border issue

Border issue

Old 04-28-2016, 07:59 AM

Default Border issue

This started out as a backing, but it was obviously going to be all wrong for the quilt, so it ended up as a top of its own (I'm not sure what I was thinking with all that pink). I didn't know how to deal with the third pink border at the time and just wanted to be done with it, but I'm really bothered by it now, looking so clumsy at the corners.

How would you have gone about getting this fabric to match up at the corners? I have some of the fabric left, but not enough to do the whole border over.
Attached Thumbnails imgp9919_fotor.jpg   imgp9920_fotor.jpg  
Old 04-28-2016, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I never have tried matching a backing with a top. It is so difficult unless it is a wall hanging size. Just so many other quilts that I feel necessary to complete than to spend time trying to match a back & a top perfectly.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 AM

I would just leave it alone. I like your quilt! It looks good. Look at your quilt, without looking just at the corners. See. It looks okay.

Dina
Old 04-28-2016, 08:27 AM
Power Poster

I would have mitered the corners but the quilt looks fine as is. Reminds me of Shabby Chic and Bohemian.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:35 AM

I really think I'd leave it, looks good to me. I might be tempted to use cornerstones on the last pink border. I'm dealing with that right now. I don't have enough fabric to miter the corner (my pattern calls for a mitered corner). What to do.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:38 AM

I'd leave it but next time would probably use cornerstones if I didn't have enough fabric to miter. Remember when it's on a bed it will drape and the corners won't be noticeable at all. I like it.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:58 AM

I often use cornerstones when I am faced with that challenge! Plus, it adds a nice design element! I don't know how you can mitre the corners and get a nice match if the repeats don't work with the size of your quilt on a print like that, although perhaps it would be a more muted transition at the corners if mitre do. I think your quilt looks great!
Old 04-28-2016, 09:29 AM

I think it looks fine. I'm sure I wouldn't notice it if you hadn't pointed it out.

I'm guessing you're talking about the wavy connection between the outer 2 borders. If so, in the future, seam together all of your borders first, then sew them onto the center as a unit & miter the corners.

If you're instead talking about matching up the repeat, that depends on the fabric itself. If the quilt is finishing as a square, it's quite easy. You just find the center of the quilt & lay the borders so that the center of a motif on the border lines up with the center of the quilt; pin & sew. I'd figure on having some waste fabric on that & would seam together my borders first -- taking care to line up the center motif on each one -- so that way the borders would lie nice & flat.

For a rectangle shaped quilt, you really need to have both the length & the width of the quilt divisible by the length of the repeat (that is, the repeat should end at exactly the same place whether you are laying it on the long or short side of your quilt). In that case, I would sew each border on individually. As this point, even if that was possible originally, I don't think it would be worth it to re-do the borders.

There are a couple of classes you might find helpful that have sections about mitering borders:
Jinny Beyer's free Craftsy Class (note: this is a 90x90" square quilt): http://www.craftsy.com/class/2015-cr...khiu&_ctp=4816

Bonnie Browning's iQuilt Class: https://www.iquilt.com/course/border...shing-touches/
Old 04-28-2016, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

if it bothers you a lot you could unstitch the outer border and put in a square of something else so you don't have to match design, then restitch the outer border. otherwise the quilt looks good to me.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 AM

"For a rectangle shaped quilt, you really need to have both the length & the width of the quilt divisible by the length of the repeat (that is, the repeat should end at exactly the same place whether you are laying it on the long or short side of your quilt). In that case, I would sew each border on individually. As this point, even if that was possible originally, I don't think it would be worth it to re-do the borders."

Thanks for explaining that Bree123! So if I understand correctly, you have to plan ahead when bordering out your quilt top to match the repeat in your chosen border fabric you want to match at the mitred corners when working with a rectangle. I'd have to think ahead.... It sure would be a stunning finish to have it work out!