Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Border Question >
  • Border Question

• Border Question

Old 09-05-2019, 06:16 AM

Your blocks are so pretty and I know you will get some great advice and suggestions from members on this board. I am so glad you are enjoying to start to quilt. It is so relaxing and fun to do. Good luck on your border decisions.
    Old 09-05-2019, 06:31 AM

So pretty and I think the red border will really frame it nicely. Just in time for this holiday season.
    Old 09-05-2019, 07:16 AM
    Power Poster

Lovely blocks! Regardless of what you end up doing for the border, start with about 2" (finished) border of the cream background fabric, so you ornaments can continue to "float" without hitting the outside edges. Then you can add whatever other border(s) you like.

I like the suggestion of a ribbon border, if you are up for more piecing at this point. Or, if you want to keep it simple, maybe a border of red followed by the holly print. Then, bind in the black.
    Old 09-05-2019, 07:31 AM

Looking at your picture, I would probably make the borders the width of the ornament strips. - audition them. Lay the widths under the top and walk away. Everytime you enter the room, think about your reaction. Are the colors in the right order? Should the outer border be bigger? Should they graduate in size (2 1/2", 3" and 4")? Trust your gut, what looks best to you is the right choice because you are making it!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 09-05-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 09-05-2019, 06:06 PM

A triple border I have used several times is: A narrow border of a large print, the same width or narrower border of a stop: black or white or some other color but mostly solid, then a large border of the first print. Even larger than twice to three times as wide as the other two borders. That makes a stunning border.
    Old 09-05-2019, 06:46 PM

I like Tartan's tip. Thank you. I also try to balance borders with how big I want the quilt to be whether it is 1 or more borders.
    Old 09-06-2019, 12:09 PM
    Power Poster

No matter what you do it will remain very pretty.
    Old 09-06-2019, 12:12 PM
    Power Poster

What gorgeous blocks!!!
    Borders vary but my usual if I'm doing 3 is - maybe a 2 inch, then a 4, then a 5 or 6.
    But really it depends on what you want.
    Old 09-06-2019, 01:13 PM

I also like using a percentage of the block size, but be flexible to also include the finished size you want it to be. Personally I would add a 2.5" strip around the pieced center using the background fabric. That will center your blocks and float it a little bit. The border would finish at 2". Next I would do a border in one of the reds if you have it, perhaps 4.5" to finish at 4".. Lastly I would do a bit narrower in the black to frame it all, or perhaps a dark green if you have it in the fabrics used. Cut this at 3.5" to finish at 3". I would bind with the same dark fabric, or with the red if you want it a little brighter. You can also switch positions of the 2nd and 3rd colors if you like it better that way. I would still bind with the dark green/black.
    Old 09-27-2019, 07:08 AM

Your blocks are lovely!

I really like Barb's suggestion to have the first border be the same fabric you used as the background in the blocks - this will make it so the ornament blocks are not butting up right against the border, which appeals to me.

If it was my quilt, my first idea to try out would be that background fabric about the width of a red strip in the ornament, then a wide border strip of red, and then a binding of the dark fabric used in the lovely blocks with lots of squares. But this idea is only two border strips, not the three you want.

For three border strips, I'm a bit torn on whether to have the dark in the border or as the binding (like above). It could be nice to do light background, the dark green (in the dresden plate block), then the really dark and bind it in red.

I agree that putting trial strips next to your quilt and then taking a photo of it can be a big help. I think that really helps you see the quilt at a better distance, rather than the few feet of distance you have when you're working on. Playing around with a bunch of fabric can let you see how different ideas will play out, and you will probably be able to find something that makes your heart sing! Have fun with it.