Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
border quilting suggestions needed >

border quilting suggestions needed

border quilting suggestions needed

Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 PM

Default border quilting suggestions needed

I am trying hard to finish up my february ufo but I am kind of stuck now that I have reached the border of this quilt. I know my quilting style is kind of different and I am a new quilter (this will be my 3rd quilt to finish ,not counting dog quilts) so it could use improvement but I am really having fun with it. I just don't know what to do that will finish off what I already have done. Would just some wavy lines and some bubbles be good or is that too much of what is already there?
Hope this picture is OK. No way I wanted to take it outside this morning it was minus 30 Celsius here. Brrrr!
Thanks for any suggestions. [ATTACH=CONFIG]511837[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails coffeecozyquilt1.jpg  
Old 02-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

Looking good and I might do some kind of a leaf pattern to pick up the leaf shape in the quilt. Since the main part is fairly densely quilted, I would put a background fill behind the leaf pattern to make the leaf shapes kind of puff up for a Trapunto look.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Can't see the border but what I see is so far so very good !!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Tartan, I would want to replicate that leaf shape in the piecing in the border and then backfill to get them to pop. Beautiful quilt!
Old 02-27-2015, 12:42 PM

Wow that's really pretty!
Old 02-27-2015, 04:08 PM

That is a fantastic quilt - I agree with Tartan and Feline Fanatic. Leafy would look wonderful
Old 02-27-2015, 04:33 PM

I don't know about you, but when I have done so much intricate quilting as you have done, when I get to the borders I'm a little out of steam. Your quilting looks really pretty, I might add! So sometimes I have been able to outline quilt an element in the border fabric like flowers, etc. and it works well for me and I don't have to think quite as much I can't really see your border fabric well enough to see if that is an option or not.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the encouragement ladies.
Leaves, thank you, I like that idea and best part is that I can fmq a pretty nice leaf!
I never thought of following a pattern in the fabric. I will definitely keep that in mind when I am piecing next time. There is a really nice pattern there that would have worked out well except it is directional and quilting it would draw attention to the fact that I paid no attention to that when I pieced it :-( .
And yes, I am ready to see this one done. Its why I've reached out for some help. I really don't want to short cut the last bit just because I am anxious to throw it on a bed (or because I joined the UFO challenge and February has been a disaster). I want to make myself finish it in a way that I'll still be happy with next year.
At least now I can change thread colours. I am so tired of looking at that background thread. Oh, one more thing, keep the thread colour subtle for the border right?