Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Border Thoughts >

Border Thoughts

Border Thoughts

Old 04-04-2022, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I prefer a straight join. The time I tried a miter on a wider border, it was harder to get it to lay perfectly flat. I don't think a well pressed seam shows very much after it's quilted. I actually like a border cut crosswise better than one cut lengthwise. The little bit of 'give' in the crosswise helps 'fudge' discrepancies in the lengths of the sides of the quilt so it stays square (or rectangle).
I like this idea of cutting it crosswise. It will help too, with it being easier to plan the seam placements too. I think I am going to go with just doing borders like this. It will most likely cut down on the amount of left over fabric too.

Old 04-04-2022, 11:59 AM

I don't do a lot of borders. I mostly plan borders for when I need the quilt to be just that little bit wider/longer than the blocks take me. A sweet spot so to speak on the width and length, not too short, not too long.

I like to make my bed sized quilts to fit more like a bedspread. I can't stand 'blanket's' that pull up and barely cover your shoulders once you are in bed because it doesn't have enough width. I also like to have a quilt that I can put over my pillow, or fold it down some with the pillows on top, showing the back of the quilt.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:16 PM

I will generally join my border seams with a miter and press open. I like the idea of adding a coordinated block where the join would be and may have to try that one day!
Old 04-04-2022, 05:43 PM

I'm going through a mitered border phase, though I used to do straight borders for a long time. I'm just saving the long pieces from the sandwiches I have to do (using 108" backing) and make my future quilts according to the size I get from them. I've got a couple quilts on my to-do list that will only take binding to finish, no need to put borders on them. I think it's just easier now to do mitered corners, it takes a bit more fabric to do them, but everything just looks incredible with them than the straight borders. Pieced borders would definitely give everything a scrappy look, though.
Old 04-05-2022, 04:38 AM

Borders are frequently pieced. Once in the quilt and the quilting is done, few will notice except another maybe another quilter. I would hope they would think you were clever and thrifty to piece.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

I always cut borders W.O.F. and join with miter seam pressed open like making binding. I make my bindings the same way.
Old 04-05-2022, 11:57 AM

I made a pieced border from strips i had left over from the arcs of my wedding ring quilt. I am still finishing this up today and started it years ago! anyway i like the border. doing binding right now.
Attached Thumbnails p8120068.jpg  
Old 04-05-2022, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltwoman44 View Post
I made a pieced border from strips i had left over from the arcs of my wedding ring quilt. I am still finishing this up today and started it years ago! anyway i like the border. doing binding right now.
Your quilt is beautiful. Very nice!
Old 04-05-2022, 02:24 PM

Nothing wrong with a pieced border. I prefer LOF for borders, but that is not always possible, I like a mitered join if I have to piece the border, but at the end of the day I will do what the situation calls for, we gotta do what we gotta do.

Last edited by tallchick; 04-05-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2022, 02:28 PM

I can only remember cutting borders length of fabric for one quilt. It was called for in the pattern. It was one of the earliest quilts I made after I retired from work. I was so nervous about cutting into that beautiful fabric. And a funny thing, that is what lead me to this quilting board when I Googled how to cut borders length of fabric! Been here ever since!
Seriously, I don't think I have ever had to do that again. I piece my borders, usually with a mitered seam because I like that look. I agree with others who have said once the quilting is done, not noticeable, either way