Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: borders different size?

borders different size?

I making the quilt with the embroidered blocks that were given to me by my friend and wanted to use them all up I had 18, 17inch blocks, I now have a quilt that is 107 x 84, without borders. if I add a border of 6 inches I think it would be to long as it would be 119 x 96, do you think this is a weird size quilt? or could I use different sizes on the side and the top, would this look funny? Thanks

I really don't think it will look strange, a quilt is what you want it to be, not by precise size. thats what I would think

That is long. But not bad if you use it with a pillow tuck. On the other hand, I have used different size borders. Even did one without a top border. It worked out fine

Blog Entries
    You can do different size borders.

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What about taking a row of embroidery blocks off and making what will look like a bed runner--then use that on top of the pillows--that way you wouldn't be tucking any of the lovely embroidery and your quilt wouldn't be so long.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    What about taking a row of embroidery blocks off and making what will look like a bed runner--then use that on top of the pillows--that way you wouldn't be tucking any of the lovely embroidery and your quilt wouldn't be so long.
    My thoughts exactly.

Blog Entries
    i did a couple of quilts with different sized borders and sashing. they look fine
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

When I have a quilt that's looking too long, and I want borders, I just don't put borders across the top. It's hidden behind pillows, so why bother? Just know, it's your quilt, do what makes you comfortable and enjoy your work

Like others, I've done quilts with no top and bottom borders and as well.
    Your quilt, your rules.

Can we see pictures?

Watson

I routinely do borders of different widths just for this reason. Sometimes I use the same size border on three sides (if I can fit it is size wise) and then just add a tinny border(one inch or so) on the top just to "finish out" the framing. Here is one where three sides have two decent size borders and the top has a single 1" red border .

https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...ed-t90516.html
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

I just finished a quilt that had larger borders on the top and bottom, and it looks fine. It needed to fit a twin bed, and it just wasn't long enough. This isn't the first time I have done it. Usually it is to make the quilt look better on a bed.

I am attaching a picture. It is a quilt for a boy at a Boys' Ranch, and it just wasn't quite long enough. The top and bottom borders are two inches wider than the side borders.

Dina
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just finished a quilt that seemed way too long versus the width. I just added a border to the sides and very small border to top and bottom and it looks much much better. Good luck and I think you will be fine if you follow the suggestions here on the QB.

I don’t know if your quilt is directional or not but when I make a huge quilt for my bed I put the longest edge across the width of the bed. That way it hangs down on the sides to fit like a bedspread.
    Donnamarie

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
    I like this idea.

I don't like a pillow tuck. I always make pillow covers for a much neater look.

I make wider borders for top and bottom all the time. They look good to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.