Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Bored

I am so sick of the blocks I am working on , I love the fabric it's my first quilt with batiks but every block is the same and I need 72 ( not all that many). My husband says do something else for a while, but I am a bit rigid in completing big projects. I tell myself when I run out of the right color of bobbin thread I will switch projects, but I just find another color that works okay. Is this a mental health issue or what! I don't know that I can even quilt something as big as this is going to turn out to be and I don't want to pay to have some one else do it. Oh wo is me, thanks for listening to my whining, I have a nasty cold and a painful knee too and my sewing room is downstairs, that ought to cover all of my complaints, thanks for listening(reading?) This is a great place to vent. We all know some one who really has something to complain about, this is pretty minor, but my issues for the day.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like you need to take a break today, rest relax and get to feeling better.

Sometimes I work on components of blocks in bulk. Like one particular seam at a time. I am still doing just one thing - but I get it done quicker and then I get to do another seam. Recently I made 60 - 4" pin wheels. I first did all the half squares then I sewed half of them together then I completed it. Works for me - may it will work for you.

You need to take a break. Do something else for a while and then go back to it.

Super Member just_the_scraps_m'am's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i think YOU said it--RIGID--how lucky you are to only have these issues for today!
    just think of all the options you have--just don't think too long--

Blog Entries
    Can u do another project that's small and quick. Something that u can do in a. cpl hrs or a day?

Schedule yourself to do a certain # of blocks per day and figure out when the end date would be. This way you can enjoy doing some each day and eventually finish...

I hate to say it but....listen to your hubby. If its not fun don't do it! Wait until your feeling better about it.

Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Schedule yourself to do a certain # of blocks per day and figure out when the end date would be. This way you can enjoy doing some each day and eventually finish...
    Good idea. If you set a goal and meet it you can go onto something else for a bit.

How about cutting out your next project and take a break from this one? You're not really starting it that way, just getting ready.

You need to take a break. Do something else for a while and then go back to it.

I have batik scrappy one I am working on & feel the same way. I do a bit on it, then do something else for awhile, then do some more. That does seem to help. You might want to try that, as you don't want to hate it when your done. This does seem to help me out. Learned this long ago, sewing, doing cross stitch, whatever, a rotation seems to help...

If it makes you feel any better I am bored too. I have 3 projects in mind. I have all of the fabric, batting and backing ready to roll. I don't know why, I just can't get myself motivated for any of them. All of my "happy things" are mocking me right now. This really stinks. I do know that when Monday rolls around again my attitude will adjust. I abhore weekends. I am on disability, the bus doesn't run on weekends, and I have no car. Every day seems to be a Saturday with nothing to look forward to. Whoop-te-do!!

I hope you feel better now. I'm betting that your life doesn't suck as much as mine. A hug to you though. My kitty sends slurpy kisses as well.
    Tonnie

There have been times when I've set aside projects for a very long time. If I get burned out, there is no solution for me but to put whatever it is aside and hope that my enthusiasm for it will return someday. In most cases it has, but in others...well...I've found new homes or in extreme cases donated to thrift stores. Life is too short to beat yourself up over anything, even a beloved project.

Diana

I know the feeling your talking about. Had a project that I thought I'd love and then dreaded to go to the sewing machine to work on it.
    Honey, fold it up and put it away until next year....no guilt as you may come back to it. Quilting should be exciting . Find a new project , maybe smaller and " go to town". It worked for me.

Blog Entries
    I switch off and on between projects - that is probably why I have so many UFO's. It keeps me motivated to keep working if I get bored with one, I can move to another.